HEELLPP!! Jumped in head first!

NewToThis

Reefing newb
Ok, I'm new to this. I have no idea about anything related to aquariums, and I have one week to learn before I go and pick up a 110g salt water aquarium that I just acquired as part of a car trade. It comes with 2 pumps, sump pump, 20 gallon sump something, and 4 big lights. And a stand.

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

what was I thinking, I don't know the first thing about fish! But, I do want to go through with this, and learn! Might be fun!

How much am I going to be spending per month to keep this up, and keep the 800lbs of live rock alive? What does live rock mean? How are rocks alive? Is live rock another word for coral?

And lastly, I think I am going to put a fish in it. What's a cheap fish, that's a good... beginner fish?

What do I need to know about water temperature and testing water for... anything that it needs tested for? where can I buy chemicals and testing things?

First thing...breath. Live rock is very porous rock that has bacteria and living organisms on it. Did you really mean 800 or 80 pounds of live rock? Also if the live rock is not fully cured (i.e. in saltwater for a long period of time) it is very possible you will have what they call a cycle. This is the time that it takes for the bacteria that you want to build. One of the first things you are going to need to do is get a test kit. API makes a good one.

And lastly, welcome. Everyone here is really nice and helpful. The search feature at the top is a great resource. Read everything that you can. I would suggest searching cycle. Also there are stickies at the tops of the forums that have a lot of good information.

What do I need to know about water temperature and testing water for... anything that it needs tested for? where can I buy chemicals and testing things?

Get the API test kit for saltwater. This will test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH levels. These are crucial to monitor during the cycle. You will want your water temps to be in the high 70's, possibly low 80's, but 79 seems to be the "sweet" spot.

He said 800, is that probably a mistake? He did say that it was "cured". Would 800lbs of live rock fit in a 110 gallon tank?

Thanks for the help! Any information on monthly costs of supplies?

It really depends on your personal setup but, if you have nothing but rock then your only costs will be topoff (purified fresh water), salt for water changes, and whatever power your setup uses. Your also going to need a refractometer to test your salinity with.

He said 800, is that probably a mistake? He did say that it was "cured". Would 800lbs of live rock fit in a 110 gallon tank?

Thanks for the help! Any information on monthly costs of supplies?

I think thatwas a mistake, I dont think there's anyway you could fit that much rock.

800 is suppose COULD fit, though I don't know how. Initial setup is generally the most expensive until you get the "coral bug". The fish are more expensive than freshwater, but much more colorful.

With the move there is a possibility that it might kick off a small cycle. You do not want to add any fish or inverts during this period of time. Ammonia is deadly to saltwater livestock.

Again the best thing I could say is start with the stickies at the top of the forums. They have a lot of great information. Read as much as you can. Research is your friend and so is patience in this hobby. Patience is really key.

Live rock is live because of the bacteria that's on it. First, you are going to have to fill it with water. The live rock will not stay live unless it's kept submerged in saltwater.

I am assuming you don't have an RODI unit to make your own water? If not, then you can either buy distilled water at the grocery store or Walmart. As a last resort, you can use tap water with a water conditioner.

You will also have to buy salt from a pet store or fish store. And a refractometer or hydrometer to measure the salinity of the newly mixed water.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will just keep the live rock going for the time being, no fish, until I get used to the idea and decide to keep the tank.

I'm reading up on everything!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums I am new to this also but if you just go slow, read EVERYTHING and decide what kinds of fish and critters you want first you can prevent buying something that is not compatible with other things down the road.

Ask questions and everyone will help you.

Thanks a bunch. I am reading everything I can! I will stay away from animals for the time being, until I get used to this fish tank concept, and can at least keep the rocks alive.

...That last phrase sounded really funny to someone who until this afternoon did not know that rocks could be alive!

:lol: You are going to do just fine. If you have any questions, ask. Everyone here will do everything they can to help you out. This is one of the friendliest bunch of people. I've belonged to other boards and got flamed for asking questions. The people here don't do that which is really nice.

Haha, well we will see. Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Yall sure do seem like a great group of people. Is anyone in the Atlanta area?

Not sure about anyone in Atlanta, but there are quite a few people from the Chattanooga area, including one of the mods that works at a fish store there.

Back