Hello All! New to the site, and to saltwater...

ROFL!!! I'm sure you're right...I'm defenitely destined to be in the AFT!!! LOL Sounds like fun though...especially the getting the algae out...I've always been up for a challenge, and I think this whole saltwater aquarium might just be a good one...LOL.

We've just finished up the chapter on Bacteria and Protists in my Biology II class at the community college I attend...we talked all about diatoms, red, brown, and green algae, dinoflagelettes, and the like...but sadly we never talked about how to get algaes out of a saltwater aquarium...or in for that matter!!! LOL.

Welcome, I completely agree with buying used equipment but try to get an idea of prices on new because sometimes what sounds like a good price is as much as what you can get it new. I would also recomend joining a local club if there is one available in your area.

The worse piece of equipment to buy, in my opinion, is lights. Make sure you look at the prices of lights that are required for coral before you buy your tank. There is no special requirement of light for the fish. Even though you are starting with fish only look ahead so when you are ready to go full reef you can afford lighting. For example, I spent $50 for lights to have coral in a 20 gallon tank, I'll be spending close to $1,000 for my 125 gallon.

Another thing you may want to consider is the fish you want to keep. Some fish require a larger tank than others. If there is a fish that you know you realy want, research it. A good place for that is Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums They have breif descriptions of the fish and a compatibility chart.

There are a lot of people from TN on here. Thats why I like this board so much.

Good luck, have fun.

Wow, there really are alot of people from TN on here...and ya know what they say...everybody in TN is related somehow or the other...LOL! And thanks for the advice Jeremy!!!

Well, solving your algae problems is easy! You just need to do what Bobby said in an old post (it still cracks me up every time I think about it):

Right now I'll try anything. If somebody told me that I had to pour the water in while standing on one foot, using one hand to pour it in, and put my thumb up my butt, you better believe I'll try. LOL

Bobby has resisted joining the AFT Club for some reason. I think he is having problems accepting and loving his tank just the way it is :lol: .

EDIT -- Ad, I agree. We should establish some screening procedures, you know not everyone can get into this club. People should have to submit pictures of their green tanks. Their applications will be judged fairly and without prejudice.

ROFL!!! Now that is funny!!!

And I'm currently in the process of reading up on tank cycling...seems to make sense to me...

There's just one thing I want to ask. I was reading about a method here in the articles section. It involved placing fresh, dead shrimp in the tank. Has anyone tried this? And is it a good method of cycling a new tank? And also, is it better to buy cultures to put in the tank, or to let them occur naturally?

OK OK I'll join, Your right I need to love it no matter what. What will I be though? I'm not the secretary type.LOL :HELP!:

Last edited:
That is one way to cycle, it works good and doesnt stress fish out, but kinda boring to watch a piece of shrimp.LOL I dont know about the cultures.

Lots of people use a piece of dead (people food shrimp). I cycled mine using a (live) damsel. What a terror he turned out to be!

Bobby, do you want to be the Treasurer?

You could also cycle using live rock. That's a good (but kinda stinky) option. I also added Biozyme when I was cycling, I think it worked. That one's a powder, but I've also heard good things about the liquid bacteria... It works for some people but not all.

Matthew - I can attest to using craigslist. It's where I found my tank and I couldn't be happier. I found the newspaper to be pricey. They go quick in my area, so if you find one you really like jump on it. You can also try ebay local (just search aquarium and narrow the search to within a specific mile range on the left of the page). I still go there everyday just to see what's there. The guy I bought mine from had some huge fake coral in the tank - I'm reselling it on craigs.

I like cycling with fish - much more entertaining and exciting! Watch out though.. Damsels can be aggressive. Just make sure you read up on which one you get.. some aren't as bad as others.. and.. they are all cheap!

Now.. for Bobby's title. This is a tricky one as we had to twist his arm to get him to join.. I'm not sure we can trust him with the AFT checkbook yet!

Mathew
Just remember that if you use a damsel to cycle with,,to go ahead and pick up a pack of trout hooks,so you can catch em out when they turn evil,,,,and trust me,,they will turn.

Back