Hello Everyone, Question regarding Inverts.

krhagerman

Reefing newb
Hello, Everyone

I have been working on my tank for about 7 to 8 years. I started with a 32 Gal. then moved to a 55 gal and have kept it thriving for quite a while now. I just started to order more types of critters for my tank which include a sand sifter star fish, abolone and 2 sea cucumbers. Now the cucumbers are acting strange but I can't find any good information on them. Does anyone have any good ideas?

thanks
Kevin

Welcome aboard.
If you can give us some more information,we'll do our best to help you work it out.
Whats your test numbers? Flow?Stock list? How were the cucumbers acclimated?

Hello and welcome to the site...if u have high nitrates, then they will not do well...also if u did not slowly acclimate them to your tank. If u see them stressing too much, take them out your tank cause if they die, they could wipe the entire tank out...also what kind of cucumbers are they? Just need a couple of variables so we can help you out.

I acclimated them for about 3 hours by adding my tank water slowly and allowing temp to adjust. Then I poured the water into a bowl and used a net to put them in my tank not mixing the water they were shipped in into my tank. They shipped in a darkend bag and I was told to turn off my tank lights. They were both Tiger tail cucumbers. I have 3 clown fish, 1 dottie, 1 goby, a blenny, 3 sand snails, 20 dwarf red tip hermit crabs, 10 Scarlet reef hermit crabs, 20 turbo snails and a sand sifting sea star. All which are doing fine. I removed the dead sea cucumber but the other one seems to be doing fine as well. I am baffled. Not a lot of information regarding cucumbers out there.

Last edited:
cucumbers are very sensitive to acclimation, it may have just not acclimated to your water. Even though your others are fine.

What is your water testing?

well my nitrate's were at 0ppm, amonia 0ppm, ph8.2... both cucumbers have passed. Pulled them out before they could poison tank. I don't think I will order them again.

Your parameters sound fine. Sorry about your cukes. I don't think they are easy to keep, so it could have been just bad luck :(

Back