Hello Newbie here.....

MrsStratyRN

Reefing newb
Hi all. I am new here. Looking for info on being a brand new salt water tank owner. I am purchasing a 90 Gallon Salt water set up on March 13th so I am snooping around the internet for any and all info I can get. First of all....could anyone tell me if the following is a good deal?
90 Gallon glass tank with stand, lighting, 70 pounds of live rock, sand with coral mixture, 4x65 watt power compact light sump is 20 long not sure of make or model but pump does 700 gallons per hour the protein skimmer is a coralife and it does up to 100 gallons. 2 aqua clear 802 power heads, 1 yellow tang, 1 bat fish, 1 rabbit fish and 1 dwarf lion fish.
Is this all worth it? The guy is the second owner of the tank. I have pics of the tank, which is beautiful with crystal clear water.
And how the heck do we transport this 2 hours from my house, is where I will pick it up.

Thank you,
MrsStratyRN

well bag up that bat fish and sell it to the lfs your tank is way to small for one. as for moving the tank just get some coolers and som 5 gallon buckets. save as much wanter as you can and fill the buckets with the rock and put the fish and other rock in the coolers. dump the sand unless you want to leave a bit of water in the tank to keep it wet so it does not die. i would dump the sand and get new fine ollite sand.

Who do I sell the bat fish to? Also is this all a good deal? How mush for the fine sand thats what i want and also when i get this tank home how long til I can put the fish back in it? Dont I have to cycle it for awhile?

MrsStratyRN

take the bat fish to the local fish store. depends on what you are paying for the set up if it is a good deal or not. as for sand you want at least 1 pound per gallon and that should give you about a 1 in sand bed this is the sand that i like the best. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10741+7321&pcatid=7321

if you keep most all the water and keep the rock under water for the trip i do not think it will cycle but is still could and if it does you need to be pepared to start doing water changes every day to keep the amminia and nitrite down so they are not fatal to the animals.

Here are pics of the tank I am purchasing for $700.

Is this a good deal?

MrsStratyRN

img006.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

img012.jpg

Sale the batfish to your fish store.Might even be able to trade it for some fine sand and stuff.
If you pay close attention and make sure the rock stays good and wet during the move,and use as much of the old water as possible,you may not have a cycle.If it does cycle,it'll probably be small.
Dont really know if your getting a good deal or not,you didnt post how much it's going to cost you.:D

Hello and welcome to the site...
You never mentioned how much the set-up is costing you, so we can't tell you if it's a good deal or not.

Hi Smitty and all! The tank and all will cost me $700.00.
I posted some pics and some info in my firsat post about the equipment.

MrsStratyRN

as it is now it is a fowlr(fiah only with live rock) a reef tank is one that has corals fish and live rock and very good lights.

Best way to decide if you are getting a good deal is to price out an identical system new in your area, evaluate the condition of the used system and equipment, apply a percentage vs new and see what you come up with. It does seem though your deal is a good one, but, I would not class it as an extrodinary deal. Ask the age of the light bulbs, if they are over 6 months old you will be replacing them soon, maybe a way to reduce the cost of the system, do you have to clean up the salt creep, another item to help reduce price, anyways deal looks ok, others have you covered on the move, use buckets put water and fish in, rocks can be kept damp, put corals in seperate bucket, move all to new location, put sand back in, water, rock, pumps, start circulation and filtration, while this is going on put some air stones in the buckets with the fish, also do not let the water temp get below 70 degrees, acclimate fish to the tank temperature and add animals back to system. hope this helps a bit. good luck, have fun keep us posted. make sure you have access to some premixed saltwater to top off the system when you 1st get it set up and everything in it, then you can top evaporation off with Distilled water or R/O water if you have access to it. You will need a salinity tester, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite test kit also.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good deal to me. Too bad about the batfish but these guys are right. Cool fish though. Good luck with the move and keep us posted on progress.

Back