Help for Granny

valf

Reefing newb
Hi,
This granny is in need of some help in setting up our 40 gal. tank so I elicit some of your expert advice. We plan to have 5-6 fish with some soft corals and live rock...not an elaborate setup but something to keep the grandkids entertained all the same. I would like your advice of what type of protein skimmer you would recommend (brand/model). We have already purchased the Orbit Compact, 2x96 actinic/dual daylight light and plan to purchase the Fluval 305 canister filter (although not sure if we should go with the 405?). Any help for this 'ol gal would be most appreciated!

Granny here, again. Sorry, forgot to mention that we would like on HOB skimmer. Although I'm sure most of you would recommend a sump, I have enough trouble cleaning up after my husband so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. Much thanks.

Hi Granny! :regular_w
Boy, I wish my grandparents had a cool fish tank to look at.

With the live rock and protein skimmer, you won't need the canister filter. You'll have to spend extra time cleaning that out and washing the filter media to keep your nitrates down. Don't get one.
A sump wouldn't be any more to clean. Once it's setup it's actually nice to have a place to hide things like protein skimmers or heaters, and it gives you more water volume which makes your tank more stable. I also find it easier to add top-off water to my sump rather than the display tank, and I also dose supplements into the sump. But a hang on back skimmer would work just fine if you are against using a sump.

Welcome to the site Valf.
There are several brands of HOB skimmers on the market.Octopus makes a decent HOB skimmer from what I've heard,although have heard of folks have a few small problems with them.Corallife also makes a decent HOB skimmer.The Corallife super skimmer 65 or even the 125 would do good for your tank.I've ran both those and never had any issues out of em.

I have a 40gal tank and i use an Octopus HOB and it works great... i have the BH-100. I also am not using a canister filter and have never had problems with water quality at all.

Only other tip i can give you is take your time, give the tank enough time to cycle and let the tank mature a little before you start adding fish/coral.

welcome to the site. i use a octo 800s hob skimmer and it works great it is a little big for your tank but you can never over skim a tank. what kind of fish are you looking at getting?

Hi and welcome!

I join the chorus in recommending skipping the canister filter altogether. With an Octopus HOB, you really won't need it. You will still need a pair of powerheads to keep the water moving in the tank. Don't feel like you need to have a sump -- it's possible to have an amazing looking tank without a sump, so if you don't want to get into that area, it's perfectly fine.

Back