Help me out here

kilo

Reefing newb
Hey guys so I had a few frags of zoa/paly. They were AOG change bong and magicians. The magicians were first, on the mature head a little section curled in, then the whole thing, then I look this morning and the entire colony is gone. Same happened with the chong bong, but Friday I'd had enough I moved all the frags off the sand and into the rocks. Then I went to the LFS and bought a mandarin ! I realize that I have 4 fish, and I know the hardships of the mandarin. So I've had him for 4 days and this morning my zoos are still disappearing! >:| but my palys are all great. My artic ice,and hawiians are awesome. But I'm pissed about my chongs/magicians. Do you guys think it is pods? And sorry I do not have a test kit.

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately zoas will melt away...I've had many zoa colonies melt away in my tank also. I don't know what it means other than they weren't happy at their location.

If you dont have tests to test your water, you need to stop buying corals and fish, and use that money to buy a decent set of test kits. They aren't optional equipment - especially when you start keeping corals.

As far as the madarin goes, yes, they are difficult to keep because they are hard to get eating. I do not think the pods are to blame for your zoanthids melting away. It is likely a water quality issue or something else. Some zoa frags just tend to melt in some tanks

And if its the 20 gallon you have 4 fish in, I'm definitely thinking its a water quality issue, thats twice the number of fish that should be kept in a 20 gallon

Test kit is next on my list, good brand? And they melted away before I had 4 fish. I know the difficulties Of keeping a mandarin, and I have a few good friends in the area who know how and will help me to keep him.

North is right on the money, a test kit is definitely NOT optional. And if you're keeping corals, you need to have the full run of test kits including:

NH3/NH4
NO3
NO2
GH
Alk
Mag
Calc.
Strontium
pH
Phosphates

There are some other ones, but I'm just trying to make a point. I use API test kits, and love them. Most are 10 bucks pr type of test and they last a while. Red Sea isn't bad either IMO.

Ok, well im gona find a new home for the mandarin, if the problem isnt pods I dont want him to starve! I also have a guy who wants a clown. Ill use the mpney from them to help pay for the test kits.

Refractometers are great as long as they are calibrated using a solution!

As others have said, get a test kit or take some of your water to the fish store to be tested before you do anything else.

Back