Help me pick my new bulbs!

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
:bounce:Especially you reeffreak!

So I have the 6X54w nova pro fixture and want some new bulbs on it!

1)3 Blue special, 3 Blue plus
2)2 Blue special, 2 Blue plus, 1 kz fiji purple, 1 Ati Procolor
3)2 Blue plus, 2 UVL super antinics, 1 kz fiji purple, 1 Ati Procolor

Those are the configurations I was thinking. What do you think?:^:

I don't know what the fiji purple looks like.All I know its a daylight with blue and red combination.I need new bulbs too so I'll be trying the KZ bulbs after Christmas.I'm not sure how it will look with the procolor since its a red daylight bulb.I can't say I like any of those choices Goodman.

What do you think of this....
ATI blue+
UV Aquasun
UV Super Actinic
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI blue+
ATI Aquablue Special

Last edited:
My recomendation:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue plus

This should give you a 20,000k look and you will have plenty of par.

Here is what I just ordered for my Aquactinics TX5:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL 75/23
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue plus

Last edited:
i am definately not trying to thread jack (insert smiley with black mask and pistol here) but how are you guys coming up with these configurations. Out of everything that concerns reefing, lighting by far makes me confused. Are you guys trying to imitate lighting from nature or are you guys looking to make the corals/ fish stand out. white/blue/red/purple/actinics/super act,....i just dont get it. This noob will bend over for my paddling now,LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, im doing more research and still looking into it.

HH, I think that a lot of people try and find a good balance between growth and color.

ok......well, what bulbs are good for growth and which ones are good for color?? and what constitutes for the order you all put them in or is it just a balance (ex. white/blue/white/blue rather then white/blue/blue/white)??

Heavyhittah,

Goodman is right,its for both color and growth.Some of the names can be confusing and making it look like we are all picking blue/purple bulbs.The KZ fiji purple and ATI aquablue are actually daylight bulbs for growth(so is the Aquasun).All of the bulbs I listed is here in this pic except the KZ bulb.Now that the 3000k GE bulb has gotten old,it looks awful.I might change it out for the KZ or another set of the Aquasun.

P7301106.jpg

i was suggested this on RC and i think i might go with it when its time to replace
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue
Purple Fiji
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue+

if I were running 6 bulbs, I would think about this combo.......

ati blue+
ati aquablue
UVL aquasun
Pure Actinic Giesemann PowerChrome
ati aquablue
ati blue+

or just 3 ati blue+ and 3 ati aquablue...... good color combo between the two bulbs in just about any application

whatever you decide, you should stay away from the red spectrum, it's been shown that it can actually be harmful to your coral....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/12/aafeature1

Back