Help! My poor Mandarin!

heatherc369

Reefing newb
I'm having major issues with ich in my tank right now, and I have the 3 fish that appeared to have it in a hospital tank. I just noticed that I have a mandarin COVERED in bumps. However, they're not white like ich is on other fish, they are the same crazy color as the fish. Can mandarins even contract ich? I've read they can't. What in the heck are these? Is this how ich manifests in mandarins?? They're horrible looking. Please help if you've ever heard of anything like this.
I described what my Royal Gramma had to the LFS and they gave us treatment for "flukes" for her and an herbal treatmant for the Flame Angel and Sailfin Tang, he said we could treat the 2 treatments at the same time, im so lost and so scared right now:( My tank is full of inverts and corals its 125 gal so I know treatment options are limited.

Any advice would be appreciated:frustrat:

Melevsreef.com - Mandarin Care

These fish don't get Ich as they secrete an oily substance on their bodies. Their skin type and the oils secreted make them extremely sensitive to many medications. What may heal one species will more than likely kill a mandarin. So if your other fish develop ich, the mandarin is not to be put in to quarantine. Which is fortunate because it would starve to death if you did, assuming the medication didn't kill it first.

Can you post a pic of the mandarin? In all honesty, if you are not treating ALL the fish for ich, as soon as you put the qt'd fish back in the dt with the other fish, they will get ich all over again. You have to qt all the fish (except the mandarin) and leave the tank fallow for a few months to ensure all the ich dies. I'm not sure if Mandarins can even be carriers. That's tricky. Most of us probably have ich in our tanks because we don't qt. If the fish is eating, they should be able to fight it off.

Follow tips here:

https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Also, is your tank really only a few months old? Seems like you stocked it awfully fast. You should slow down. Plus the sailfin needs a bigger tank.

My MDs got sick when nitrates got close to 20. Some fish can be very sensitive to nitrates and others are fine with them.,

Back