Help with a frogfish, my first fish

Goldfish are not healthy live foods for saltwater fish, long term. They will do in a pinch, but you are right to not rely on them.

Damsels are actually probably the most common saltwater feeder fish. What you are doing sounds about right, the cheapest feeder fish out there are damsels, so those make a good snack. There isn't too much you can do for variety short of breaking the bank...

Thanks for the quick reply bifferwine, I just wasn't sure about using damsels as feeders, as I hadn't heard it anywhere or had them suggested, I'll just alternate between those and different shrimps and crabs. Thanks.

well, have some good news and bad news. Good news is, the fish is fine, doing great, bad news is finally identified him as a Giant Frogfish, definitely not suited to my small 40 gallon tank. I made a deal with my lfs owner who traded him for two tank raised false percula clowns and some money. I am kind of sad to see him go, I really enjoyed him, but I know that he would never do well in my small system.

Back