Here We Go, PICS Inside, And Yes...I Need Help ;-)

Thanks much. Two nights ago I did a massive water change. Last night I took the bioballs out and thoroughly cleaned the wet/dry. I also added a refugium for nutrient export and added some Culerpa. I took a chance and added 10 turbo snails and one HUGE mexican turbo snail. I cleaned the store out of peppermint shrimp (only 3) and they seem to be doing just fine this morning. Also, I've got the lights off for three days to see if that helps. Tonight is day 2. I'm going to continue the water changes and just be patient. I'm going to add one more protein skimmer as well as it does look like the one I have is a little undersized. Hopefully I'll be able to get control of all this algae and be back on my way to safely caring for some corals. I'm considering doing away with my tangs. Or atleast two of the three of them. So, if anyone is in Florida and might have an interest let me know. My LFS won't give me $hit for them so I'd rather they go to a good home. Other than that I got some of the styrofoam-like block deals to replace the bioballs so it didn't sound like a waterfall. Was this an appropriate selection to replace the bioballs??? Now that I think of it, I might have just replaced a problem with a problem. Huh...

rather than the styrofoam block, try to see if you can fit in a filter sock. It will mute the noise and will give you a place to insert activated carbon and phosguard media bags. Otherwise, your plan sounds good. Keep us posted.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Ok, I'll see what my LFS has for me as far as a sock goes. I also set up my refugium. Kind of big but as I understand it that's a good thing for nutrient export. I've got it loaded with Sea Grapes, can't remember the real name for them, that came with a whole slew of creatures. As I've read this will help with my quest to get a reef system as naturally balanced as possible? And it should help with my algae problems as well?

Yep the refugium will do some good. The macro algae (good stuff in the fuge) will compete with the micro algae (bad stuff in the main tank) for nutrients. The idea is that hopefully the macro algae will win, and there won't be any nutrients left for the bad algae to feed off of.

I'll be posting pics of the rearranged tank/refugium on Saturday night. The light will officially have been off for 3.5 days. I Got some of that glass anemone remover stuff and it works great. Instant results. I just want to say thanks again for all the help. I've been missing some key elements in understanding the living process of a reef aquarium. Again, if anyone is in the west/or central Florida area I'm going to have some tangs up for grabs soon. Any recommendations on other fish to add? Also, it looks like the algae coating my live rock is starting to die off. I haven't had the lights on but it's almost like it's peeling back off the rock. Should I scrub the rock? If so, any recommendations there with what to use?

Fill up a bucket with new saltwater. If you feel like taking your rocks out of your tank, get a toothbrush and brush off all the gunk while rinsing it in the bucket periodically. This will keep any of your good critters from dying off and will also let you get rid of the excess algae.

just don't use that toothbrush to brush your teeth after the rock cleaning. Some people are into the whole "natural thing", but I think it would taste awful :mrgreen:

I would scrub off the excess algae in a bucket away from your DT, that way, floating debris won't get a change to settle back on other rocks.

Can't wait to see pics of your cleaning success.

It is a white bag of course material that attaches to your sump. It's purpose it to be a physical filter for your water, hold media bags inside of them that the water hits and filters through (like carbon or phosguard) and it helps to deaden sound.

Sorry, Here's the rest..........

DSCN2975.jpg

DSCN2976.jpg

DSCN2977.jpg

DSCN2978.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

DSCN2982.jpg

DSCN2985.jpg

So, there's the new refugium. I've got too many sea grapes in there, i know, but i just got home, snapped some photos and put them up here. I think I've got some more cleaning to do in my filtration equipment. I've got a whole bunch of crap in the bottom. Should I replace the blue stryofoam thingy in the bottom of it? I've had the lights off for three days now. It looks like the algae has died off. It's now a deadish looking color instead of a vivrant flourishing green. I don't know how long it's going to take to scrub it all off but it's going to take some time for sure. Hello Sunday project. Lol. So, how do you guys think it's coming? I got some of that atispasia (spelling?) remover stuff too. Stuff works great!

Oh ya, forgot to ask....I;ve got a clam in there. I'm pretty sure it needs light to live. Is that correct? The thought of hand cleaning all of my rocks is not too appealing. I'd much rather turn off the lights for a few more days and watch it disappear.

Back