Here We Go, PICS Inside, And Yes...I Need Help ;-)

Thanks Doc Marco.....I'm trying to find a home for the Hippo and Sailfin as we speak. I do have one 2.5 inch tomato clown, two damsels, two pajama fish 1.5 inches at best also. I guess these could stay. I would like somthing to churn the sand. Had one of those once, I forget what it was called though. I've got to stop and get the appropriate filter sock today and I guess I'll wait til' I have everything under control. Again, if anyone wants a couple of good tangs I've got two for yas...

Oh, I've heard that angel fish eat corals??? Least, that's what my LFS has told me. That's why I have three tangs. They said they work best in odd pairs and that I would be fine with the three of them. Lol. Figures.

Some angels will nip at corals.Some are worse than others.Just do some research on the ones you like and THEN decide for yourself.Dont depend on the LFS to give all the information you need when it comes to livestock.

The pygmy/dwarf angels aren't as bad as the bigger ones. Coral beauties and flame angels are considered a good bet for angels in a reef tank. Dr. Marco keeps several large angels in his reef tank successfully, it seems to depend more on the individual fish than anything else.

Ok cool. I'll be doing my research when it comes to the angels. Much thanks.

I know my tank has undergone quite a few changes lately but I'm afraid that I might be losing my clam. Can anyone take a look and let me know what's up???

Also, check out my mexican turbo snail smacking down. You can almost see the purple on the Fiji live rock. Is that the coraline??? Oh, and what is that???
DSCN0710.jpg

DSCN0711.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

DSCN0713.jpg

DSCN0714.jpg

Looks like coralline to me. Sorry to say, but that clam does not look good. Clams require intense lighting and good water parameters. I'm no expert on clams, hopefully someone else with more experience with them can chime in.

The purple/pink stuff definitely looks like coralline.Now that the nuisance algae is under control the coralline should spread faster now.

All the algae that has died could of cause a mini-cycle,maybe thats why the clam isn't looking to good.Thats only a guess,I would test your parameters to be sure.

Coraline is a sign that your system is doing reasonably well.But by the looks of your clam,I'm inclined to think something is going on.
Even though clams require large ammounts of light,they dont require perfect water perimeters.
From the looks of the clam,I think you might have some like pyarmid snails which eat clams.
I dont know for sure as im no expert,but if your water checks out,thats something to check for.

I agree with you Yote, looks like the clam is receeding due to parasite nibbles. If the light was insufficient, the clam would be turning more of a brown-ish color. It may be too far gone to save. BTW angelfish LOVE to eat clams. You could be safe with two pygmy angels in a 75, like a potter's, flame, or coral beauty. A 75 gallon is not quite big enough for Pomocanthus or Holocanthus families.

Coralline usually means that your tank is healthy enough to grow corals. It is much prettier than hair algae, no matter how much Biff brags about her 55.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I don't believe its a parasite unless its a fish nibbling on it.I think he said that it was healthy before he took out the bioballs and cleaning.I believe it gotten stress out.

I don't believe its a parasite unless its a fish nibbling on it.I think he said that it was healthy before he took out the bioballs and cleaning.I believe it gotten stress out.

Indeed, the clam was just too stressed out and now it's dead. I guess I did too much too quick. I'm 99% sure it was the salinity. It was off the charts when I started this whole thing and now it's in the good range, just a little low. Oh well, my fault.

I'm wondering what the ideal ranges are for everything I need to monitor if I want to keep a happy/healthy reef aquarium with corals. Alkalinity, PH, calcium, salinity, you name it. Everything. I've gotten one of my LFS's to agree to take two of the tangs and give me store credit. So, I'll only have one tang, the big tomato clown, a couple damsels and a couple cardinal fish. I think that would be enough with the addition of one of those sand sifter fish and an angel.

Sorry for your lost.

Temp 78-82
dKH 8
alkalinity 2.9meg/L
PH 8.2-8.3
Phosphate 0
calcium 350-420ppm
salinity 35ppt or SG 1.023-1.026

Of course,you want zero ammonia and nitrites.Best to keep nitrate as low as possible,20ppm or lower.

What is that that was above the clam ?
It most likely was Stress related,
Sorry for the loss . If you dont have All the test Kits a Good LFS will test your Water For ya for Free . Just bring roughly 3/4 a gallon up there.

What is that that was above the clam ?
It most likely was Stress related,
Sorry for the loss . If you dont have All the test Kits a Good LFS will test your Water For ya for Free . Just bring roughly 3/4 a gallon up there.

That USED to be a bubble coral. I had a crash a few months ago and lost all my corals. Ever since then I've kinda let it go. I've recently gotten back into it and gotten the best advice here. So, I'm still progressing but have gotten MUCH better! The tank is pleasing to look at and I'm learning to take more time when doing things. Patience is key, Im getting it. I've just got probably another month of monitoring everything before I can add again..............until then.............

Your right,patients is the key and good husbantry too.
Good luck and post a tank showcase thread,if you like.You have me reminiscing about my ole bowfront.

I was just wondering if your clam may have Stabbed itself in the Ridges of that bubble coral ... once Distressed like that its hard to bring em back.

Back