Heres My 125 GL Reef Tank So Far !!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !

Thats a little vid of my tank so far, Everything had recently crashed about 2 months back and most all my fish died, So i started with some frags of corals, My birdsnest was only about 3 sticks with a couple little branches and its growing like crazy, So are my frogspawn and torch. al other corals are fairly new. My clams seem to like it best on the sand bed, they are attached to rocks. But yeah thats my tank for now.

Corals:

FrogSpawn, Torch, Birdsnest, Pink Start Polips, Green Star Polips, Duncans, cocoworms, Pulsating zenias, Brain Not sure what type, Acans,

Fish:

Kole tang, Yellow Tang, Flame Angel, 4 Fire Fish, 2 Clowns, SixLine wrasse, Royal gama, Scoter Blenny, Diamons watchman goby( sand Sifting goby).

Clean Up Crew:

about 30 or so Nassarious Snails, about 5 hemits, 5 turbo snails, about 200 dwarf ceriths, Sandsifting startfish, and a couple other snails im not sure off. Also have red blood shrimp and reg scunk cleaner shrimp.

Clams:

Crocea clam ( Purple One )
Maxima Golden Tear Drop Clam.

I might be missing something here and there but yeah.

But yeah let me know what you guys think.

Sorry for the Video Quality it was with my Droid X2 phone.

Last edited:
That looks really good. Nice work!

Sorry to hear about your crash. What happened?
Are you running this one with a sump?

Well everything was fine at first but I Jump the gun and started getting fish before doing reaserch, They stressed out and started getting ich, only original fish are the firefish. LOL now im doing a bit better.

No sump just yet Hopefully will have it Done this comming weekend. I already have the Countainers im using for the sump, i have the bulkheads and overflow.
Just Need return pump and then put in the baffles let that set for 3 days and then just plumb everything. Also ordering the SC aquariums skimmer rated at 180 gl.

I hear good things about there skimmers.

Looks good, but it is so dangerous that you added so many fish that fast. You should be adding ONE fish every 3 weeks. And you are already at your stocking limit. If you keep this up you are going to crash this tank again.

Yeah i know i addes them a bit fast. I just got the chance to gwt the fish from my friend breaking down his tank so i did. Im giving it a month before i add anything els.

Stocking limit? ?? How am i there already. I see people with toons of fish in a 125 gl. is there a rule of thumb for stoking? ??.

I still want maybe 5 fish.

+1 LF. 13 fish in a 125 in a matter of weeks is totally asking for trouble. A good rule of thumb as far as stocking limits for saltwater are 1 fish for every 10g.

Firefish have nen in there the hole time. Clowns where addes about 3the weeks back since they where tank raised. Oh yeah scoter bleny has also ben.in there with firefish i just alwys forget him. Diamond gobby a week after clowns and then my qt went to hell so yeah this last couple weeks i did add kole then 3the days layer the yellow tang and the sixline and gamma. So not all at ones but this last week i do admit i addes a bit fast. But was the only way to get the fish aince like i said my friend was breaking down his tank. I also ben doing 20 gl water changes every suday since i have no sump yet. Hopefully that will be done this weekend.

So this ia what i plann to add next. I want the schooling banner fish (i reef safe heniocus ) i still want a purple tang. Or the maybea blue atlantic tang. I want a mandarine ones my tank matures more. And maybe a blue jaw trigger.

Last edited:
As LF already said, you're pretty much at your limit for fish. I definitely don't think you have the bioload capacity for your CURRENT stock let alone adding more tangs and stuff. How much rock do you have in there? It doesn't look like 125lbs to me but it could be. Still, if you want to be keeping a very heavy bioload you'll want a lot more than 1 lb. per gallon...you'll want closer to 2 or more.

13 fish is where most people would stop in a 125gal....and they wouldn't reach that number for probably a year or more.

It's not really about efficient skimming. It's more about your biological filter's capabilities to process the amount of waste all your fish are producing...

Last edited:
I actually have a little more than 140lb live rock theres pieces in the back that you cant see. All my levels are still good just tested. My nitrates are even lowere now at around 5the ppm. Plus when i add the sump refugium i plan on putting about 20 lb of live rock and rubble rock in there also. Does it not matter that the variety of my fish are small for if thays the case ill get rid of aome of the smaller fish to get what i want. I for sure want 2the to 3 more tangs and the mandarine at least. So if thats the case i dont mind getting rid of a couple fire fish. But i dont really see the smaller fish making a big difrence. Plus i still have room in the tank to add more rock if needed. I see other tanks way more croweded and they have bwn fine for years.

Smaller fish like clowns can and do have a big effect on bioload. 13 fish of any size represent a very large bioload.

OK So you think it would be best to maybe take out 2 of the fire fish before i get my other fish ????

Or just keep testing and see how things go ???? Im also getting a phosban reactor when i set up my sump so that should help also. But yeah if i must i can get rid of a couple of my smaller fish.

Stocking limit? ?? How am i there already. I see people with toons of fish in a 125 gl. is there a rule of thumb for stoking? ??.

I still want maybe 5 fish.

You are probably looking at people who have larger fish, which makes it look like they've got way more than 13 fish. The larger the fish, the more they occupy.

I have a 125g fowlr...nothing to look at but fish...I would love to put 20 fish in my tank, but I don't want to compromise my water quality. I think you should go ahead and remove some of your smaller fish, and replace them with the larger ones that you want. But keep it at 13.

Take your time. You rushed in to getting your friends' fish, when you should have planned your stocking list more carefully....so now you've got to get rid of some.

Other than that, your tank's lovely.

I Might just get rid of my fire fish and maybe the sixline. I defenetly at the very least want the reef safe heniocus ( Schooling Banner Fish ) one more tang and the mandarin.

Well, heni's do best in a school....so assuming you get 3, and you still get the other 2, and you're only getting rid of 2 fish, you will still be severely overstocked. You already had a crash w/ ich...you're setting yourself up for another ich crash especially with the tang.

OK Say i Remove all fire fish, and sixline wrasse, Then i add about 2o to 30 lb of rock to the DT, and another 30 tothe QT will i then be ok to get the fih i want ??

Yep...but do NOT add them all at once LOL

FYI, there are 2 types of heni's that look almost alike...one is reef safe, the other is not. Be very very very mindful that the person can tell them apart! Read this post:

https://www.livingreefs.com/schooling-bannerfish-t38853.html

Heniochus acuminatus: NOT reef safe
Heniochus diphreutes: reef safe

And read the link they posted:
Heniochus diphreutes vs. acuminatus??? - Reef Central Online Community

So lower your bioload, give your tank and fish a couple of months to settle in. Then add 1 or 2, and make sure to NOT add more for another few months! If you want to succeed in this hobby, go slow!

Yes i know that why i put Schooling Banner fish on my post. OK so ill get my Sump in hopefully this weekend with some Chaeto in the refugium part with rubble rock, ill also add some bigger pieces to the Sump side. To get that started up. It should be fine for me to use Dead rock or base rock right ???? as it will become live rock with time ???

Back