hermits, snails, and such....

geez some of you guys are the biggest hyppocrates in the world and you don't even realize it. Adrastos i understand your concerns but listen to yourself. If you were really truly concerned about the natural environment you would be completely against owning an aquarium. The saltwater aquarium business worldwide(whether the proper thing to do is only buy CB's or not) has gotta be horrible for the reef system worldwide. I would think CB animals would be better off being placed back into the environment rather than in people's living rooms.

i guess im comparing you to a vegetarian hippie that preaches certain ideals but if he really practiced what he preached he would be a full blooded vegan...does that make sense? you know you can't claim cruelty to animals while eating an ice cream cone.

sorry if im coming off as a jerk...im not...i hope to make friends with everybody here and learn as much as i can about this great hobby.

Actually - my entire tank is CB and lace rock. In my years of reptile keeping - only kept captive born animals.

I am a strong advocate of personal aquariums to create a viable captive bred stock so our wild oceans are not destroyed by poachers. The more private keepers and breeders the eventual less removal from the wild will be needed.

Heres the thing about about taking wild animals for our tanks.
Your putting that animal in an in-cloesd enviroment.Which makes it a pretty good possibilty that that animal can contract diseases and viruses that can totally wipe out whole species in the wild.Once that fish,crab,coral,or what ever it is,goes into your tank.It should never be returned to the wild.

Not to mention,Just because you live on an island does not make you exempt from your local fish and wildlife laws.Those laws are there for a reason.Just because you live in a place where you can get away with breaking them dont make it ok to do so.
JMO.

Yes you are coming off in a defensive manner. It seems as if you are upset because you are being called on the carpet. We are willing to help and many people here have vast experience they can share with you. Becoming upset about something you know to be true (illegally poaching) doesn't seem to make much sense to me. To gain knowledge from those who have it seems to require meeting environmentally sound and safe practices. If you don't want to have comments made on your dirty laundry, don't post it.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Okay. Let's end the conversation about "taking from the wild -- okay or not?"

Let's get back on track to questions about his aquarium instead.

I move to a create a new discussion forum here that **allows** this kind of conversation.

This way those that want to talk about what is ethical in this hobby can - instead of just deleting the topic and prentending the problem is not there!

No one is pretending. Several people got to say their piece, then others had a chance to rebut, and then name calling began. That's when it needs to get shut down.

I move to a create a new discussion forum here that **allows** this kind of conversation.

This way those that want to talk about what is ethical in this hobby can - instead of just deleting the topic and prentending the problem is not there!

As an outdoorsman I gotta agree with Ad.
We do need a forum to talk about our ethics in this hobby.Because like it or not,the rest of the world looks at us as the reason for the declining reefs.

Back