Hey guys...I'm back.

Keaton

Reefing newb
It's been a while, just thought I'd hop in and say hi! I am considering getting back into it with a custom build. Maybe a plywood if I can figure out a good way to keep it from leaking. Does anyone here have a functioning plywood setup maybe in the 200-300 gallon range? :helm2:

Welcome back Keaton! I'm not sure any currently active member has a plywood build, at least not that I've seen.

Welcome back!

The few accounts i have read about plywoods tanks is that they just end up leaking :( I think if you are looking in the 200-300 gal range, i would still go with a glass or acrylic tank

I've seen 3 plywood tanks here in charleston. 1 saltwater & 2 freshwater 100+ gallons. None of them lasted more than 5 or 6 months. If I was to ever try a plywood tank, It would be 40 gallons or less. Wood is just too flexible IMO. It expands & contracts with temperature, just too unpredictable.

I think, You should stick to glass! 1. You can walk around it and see the beauty from different angles. So leave the plywood for feature. 2. It`s not easy scratchable as akrilic tanks. Of course, acrilic tanks are lighter, stronger...

But I would go with the glass...

Yet, I have experience in building freshwater aquariums, but I don`t think there is any difference... Only You have to make overflow shaft - which isn`t too hard.

Back