Hey!

Jellyfish

Reefing newb
Hello Livingreefs~ I'm here to ask a few questions about becoming a first time saltwater tank owner! My friend and I are trying to find a tank similar to this one: Desktop Tank with Real Live Jellyfish. Comes with everything you need to get started. Buy jellyfish online. We found this one, it looks nearly identical: biUbe Black Aquarium Kit with Light at PETCO Before questions arise of saltwater tanks needing to be large tanks, the one we've found is actually bigger than the one the jellyfishart website supplies. I realize there are differences between saltwater and freshwater-- but as you can see the petco website doesn't really clarify anything about the questions I have. Does anyone have any suggestions? Yes, we're trying to keep jellyfish as pets, according to the owners of these exotic pets-- they're fairly easy to maintain and a wonder to have in your home :) If this question does not belong here, I'll happily repost it where it's necessary. Thanks in advance. :profile:

Welcome to the site.
I'm sorry to say it.But I dont think either one of those tanks are suitable for jellies.
For one,a bubble tube isnt going to provide enough flow and if you used a powerhead,the jellies would just end up being sucked into it and chopped up.

I think you'd be better off with something like a biocube set up for a couple of upside down jellies.But of course they wouldnt be in the water column like the jellies your actually wanting to keep.

Welcome to the site! I wish I could help but everything I've ever read said jellyfish are difficult to keep. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for the welcome and answers to my question.

@Yote
Ouch. I never thought about the jellies being sucked into the tube! But the website states

We have made keeping jellyfish as easy as regular aquarium fish. The Desktop Tank will support up to 8 Desktop Moon Jellies, although we recommend starting with no more than 4 for the first two weeks so there is not a high biological load on the filter.

The moon jellyfish is 2-4 inch in diameter.

My friend and I were looking for a cheaper alternative since we saw a similar tank for way cheaper. We'd have to be very precise on the other needed supplies, though I'd imagine.

Thank you again! edit: I read on another website that those jellyfish did not last long because people could not keep up with maintaining PH/Temperature/feeding/etc. I think I may not get it anymore. I would not want one to die ):

Last edited:
Back