Hi all!

Keith R

Reefing newb
Today I did something rather silly. I bought this tank: eBay - Fish Tank .

It is a 125 gallon monstrosity with sort of an ugly stand.

My only research so far had been to read the book "Saltwater Aquarium for Dummies". I was planning out my first tank, but saw this one and decided that for only 300 bucks I can give this one a shot. Was this dumb?

If not, what other things should I procure? I ultimately want to move myself in the direction of a reef tank.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. A 125G will be a lot of work but you will enjoy it.

You will need heaters, pumps, sand and rock. You may wish to consider buying some dry rock because enough live rock for you tank will cost a pretty penny.

Welcome to the site...that was a good investment. The bigger the better, and more stable the tank will be. Sen has you covered.

Hello and Welcome!

Make sure you get caught up on research before start buying more stuff. There is lots of junky and worthless equipment out there, doing your research will save you from needing to do it twice. Same goes for livestock.

Research, research, research! Its the best thing you can do for yourself. And talking to the LFS doesnt count, they are notorious for giving bad or misleading advice.

Thanks, guys. I am trying to do as much research as possible and taking it slow. There does appear to be a gravity overflow, a place for a sump/filter stuff, and a return pump. Is this usable?

If you were me, what would you address first?

Thanks, guys. I am trying to do as much research as possible and taking it slow. There does appear to be a gravity overflow, a place for a sump/filter stuff, and a return pump. Is this usable?

If you were me, what would you address first?

Welcome to the site.

First, address the pump, make sure it is strong enough to operate this tank for what you want to do with it. Look into a good quality Skimmer, you'll need one. Add more powerheads. Look into lighting, the one(s) included do not look like they are adequate. You may also want to look into an overflow box, or even have the tank drilled and place the bulkheads in yourself.

You can use dry sand, and dry rock to start. I'd also contact Tampa Bay Aquatics and place an order for some live rock to seed your tank.

Back