High Nritite Level

I think 10-20% every 2-3 days is okay.

The dip test for nitrite isn't horrible in terms of accuracy. But I'd still get a liquid test (salifert or API or something).

The bigger problem though is that you don't have any live rock, which means you also don't have a biological filter. You need to go buy about 30lbs of cured live rock and add it to your tank. I have 48lbs in my 29gall tank. Also, change your filters in your filtration system- they can trap food and debris, which then just sits and rots.

Also.... before you put rock in, catch that damsel and give it back to the LFS. It will kill any fish you add later.

No, ammonia remover won't help at all. Depending what compound it is, it may actually make the nitrite worse. You need a biological filter in order to remove the nitrite.

Personally, I'd find someone to keep the fish for you for a couple weeks. Take out the fish, add the rocks, then wait.

It won't go away unless you get rock in there.

I thought my tank was cycled, i waited 6 weeks and every think was fine and now the spike happend. The pet store wont take the fish because i lost the receit and i dont know anyone in my area with a tank so i have no idea what to do. How much and what is the best live rock?

depends on the quality of the rock. if it's really good rock you probably won't cycle. if it isn't, you will. You can certainly add some more later, in small doses.

i dont know anybody with a tank and the store wont take it back so im screwed. Can i put it in the bag it came in with clean good water and let float on top

i dont think thats a good idea, cause then when the fish poos in the bag, the concentrations will go off the scale faster than you can measure...

not to mention, how would you like to be put in a bag and left there for weeks?

the other concern would be moving the fish from its currently "dirty" environment to that perfectly pristine and clean water in the bag, I would think that would shock the fish and kill it for sure.

ok yea i didnt think that was a good idea either. I cycled my tank with no lr and a damsel. Its been about 6 weeks and i begning to think my cycle never finished. I thought my cycle had finished becuase my ammonia was 0 and because i had the diatom bloom and green algea took over. Is it possible that this spike in nitrite is just part of the cycle?

It's not only possible, it's a fact. The cycle isn't just ammonia-- that's freshwater cycling. It also consists of an increase of nitrite and an increase of nitrates, and then slow decrease of both. It's a 3 step process. 4 if you count fixation to nitrogen gas. There are different bacteria involved in each step, which is why you need live rock.

Yup, if you don't have live rock, your tank won't ever cycle properly. You don't need a fish to cycle a tank, but you do need rock.

oh gawd...... so it's not just one fish - you're working on killing TWO fish?

Flushing the poor fish down the American Standard whirlpool of freshwater death would be more humane....... REALLY

Just stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.

Get the fish out and go buy at least 10 or 15 lbs of live rock from a REPUTABLE store. You live in PA - so there's more than 1 saltwater store around. You got a friend or 2 with a car. Go shovel some snow for cash and buy some live rock.

Cycle the live rock in the tank for about 8 weeks. WITHOUT any fish. Remember, you got rid of the poor fish because you were just killing them.........

That will give you time to bag some groceries or flip some burgers and buy a test kit. API is fine if you're on a budget. You need to test pH, AMMONIA, NITRITE and NITRATE. Cycle it 6 weeks before you bother testing anything.

When they are ALL at ZERO go get a fish. ONE fish. One SMALL fish. Not a giant fish and 14 corals and 468 snails and a starfish and oh look how cute the sea cucumber is.....

ONE SMALL FISH. PERIOD!

Do water changes every week with GOOD water.

Flip some more burgers and bag some more groceries. Buy a REVERSE OSMOSIS water filter. Don't buy anything else until you got a test kit for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate AND an RO water purification unit.

Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning..........

Back