Hiker's 75g Upgrade

every year my fruitloop colony seems to melt around the same time, it always leaves a few polyps that bounce back, but its odd. ive noticed this with all my deepwaterse. I hope they bounce back for you!
I really have no clue Sarah. I can't seem to keep Fruit Loops from melting. I bought them again last weekend at the frag swap and so far almost 15+ polyps have melted away. I'm still hanging onto about 5 or 6, but I'm not hopefull.

My Magician Palys are hanging on by a thread for the past 3 months. They never open all the way and are super skinny. I don't know how they're still alive. I've tried them in about every tank condition I can think of just short of sticking them in a cave with little or no lighting. :frustrat:

I guess for every tank there are going to be a few corals that just don't work for some reason. That's what I'm blaming it on. Keep trying and eventually you'll get it to work for you.

I really have no clue Sarah. I can't seem to keep Fruit Loops from melting. I bought them again last weekend at the frag swap and so far almost 15+ polyps have melted away. I'm still hanging onto about 5 or 6, but I'm not hopefull.

My Magician Palys are hanging on by a thread for the past 3 months. They never open all the way and are super skinny. I don't know how they're still alive. I've tried them in about every tank condition I can think of just short of sticking them in a cave with little or no lighting. :frustrat:

I guess for every tank there are going to be a few corals that just don't work for some reason. That's what I'm blaming it on. Keep trying and eventually you'll get it to work for you.

Sounds like I'm at the same point as you then. I dipped this last armor of god frag before I put it in my tank, but tonight I'll rip it off the rocks, do another iodine dip, and put it on the sandbed on the bottom. Hopefully they'll come back. If this, the 3rd one I've tried dies off, I give up on them!

It's crazy, all my other palys and zoas do just fine.

I've found that with the addition of the more "colorful" zoas, if I leave them on the sand bed for at least a couple weeks before moving them up they seem to do fine.

And there just might be something that doesn't sit with them for some reason. Their stress level just may be too high. I've fragged stuff that I've had for ages, only to have them melt off after a few days. I just did a plug the other day with 3 Blue Hornets, and 3 Red Hornets. The reds melted off after a couple days, yet the mother colony is thriving.

Hiker,I'm still disgustingly jealous of all those frags.Every time I go to the fish store,those tiny frags just doesn't catch my eye.I feel that it's going to take way to many to fill up my pico.

Hiker,I'm still disgustingly jealous of all those frags.Every time I go to the fish store,those tiny frags just doesn't catch my eye.I feel that it's going to take way to many to fill up my pico.

I hate like hell to buy frags as well, but I don't have the $ to buy colonies. My frags are growing well so in a good year I'll have some nice stuff...I hope! Most of the more recent frags didn't cost me anything because I sold so much at the frag swap last weekend. It paid for about my last 15 frags or more. I've also been trading frags with a few guys locally. We decided that we'll each buy something different and trade a month later with frags. So far its been working out well.

Pic of my Cali Tort I got from Larry. It's finally starting to take off and get some nice color. I love the green base.

013-2.jpg

001-5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Dave. Hard to believe you got that tort from me 2 months ago. Time flies....lol.
That sailfin looks pretty skinny. Is it eating for you?

Thanks Larry. I got that tort about 4 months ago or mroe from you. It didn't do much of anything for a while then it finally started to grow in the past 2-3 months.

That Sailfin is eating well actually. The LFS fed it mysis and brine for me and then I fed it about an hour after putting it in my tank. It ate a mix of frozen food and nori.

It's really tiny. Its about 1.5" long.

Got some new frags today. Pics to come in a bit. I just put them in the tank.

Jason Fox Jingle Bell Cyphastrea
Garf Bonsai Acro
Rainbow Monti
Aquadelight Acro
Misc Deepwater Acro

Garf Bonsai
001-8.jpg

Misc Deepwater Acro - Green in the back
002-10.jpg

JF Jingle Bell Cyphastre - Center left
004-10.jpg

Aqua Delight Acro - Back left