HO t5

treadwater

Reefing newb
whats the highest wattage t5 lamps a person can find? im running 54W now giving my 75G tank only a total of 216 watts.

from what iv been reading im a tad bit shy of putting out the lighting required for many corals :grumble:

im useing 2 aquaticlife fixtures

The Nova Extreme Pro is a 6 bulb fixture, but it has individual reflectors on each bulb. The individual reflectors are supposed to increase the light output by up to 300%. That would be perfect for a 75 gallon tank, and allow you to keep anything you want. Whatever brand you buy, individual reflectors are largely considered to be the most important factor.

you can over deive them to 80w with an icecap 660 ballast but it reduces the life of the bulb i have 8 54w bulbs on my 75

Another 2 bulbs and you'll be set:D
With T-5s,you cant go by the wattage per gallon rule.It just dont apply.

thought about adding another strip to what i have. the aquaticlife fixtures i use are modual and can be made to house 3 seperate units all tied together. problem with that is if i was to use the third strip to add another 2 lamps i wouldnt be able to open my tank lids...lol.

looks like i may have to find different lighting eventualy. bummer cause the ones i have are so new.. :(

il come up with something. maybe il hang them

You are using tank lids? You should take them off. They tend to heat up the tank and inhibit gas exchange at the surface of the water. Open top is the way to go!

really..i didnt know that...hmm..thanks

guess il remove them. hope no one jumps out :O

we go through a tonne of humidification here as our house is 60% hardwood, floors , doors , caseings...you name it

i better get to work on a auto topoff if i take those lids off..lol

Last edited:
this is the fixture i have now.. they get to watch TV on the 46" plasma in the back..LOL i put it on the discovery channel for them..but if its "shark week" i dont let them watch...theyl get nightmares :mrgreen:

this is with the lids still in place as i took the pic 2 minutes after reading all the latest posts. with a 3rd fixture in place yould see how there would be little to no room left to access the tank itself.

now just to be sure here..the prefered extra lighting im looking for isnt really more 10K. the corals and such need more the actinic 450NM that i would require? or should it be an even balance of 10K and NM lamps?

Attachments

• 75G reef 028.jpg
    75G reef 028.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
10K is really for coral growth. The blue (actinic) lamps are for visual pleasantries :) Most people do half 10K bulbs and half actinic bulbs. I prefer 12K, 14K or 15K. If you use one of those colors, you probably won't need any actinic supplementation.

Back