Kill A Watts - Aquatraders

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Thought I would post this since i took some readings with my Kill a watts EZ meter of the new fixtures and ballasts from Aquatraders. I know I've posted some things before on their fixtures since I use them, but I thought having some concrete numbers might help people.

First the new ballast for the MH fixtures. They are external and the ones I tested have the "green" flip switch for off/on.

From the wall to the ballast pulls 240w after 2 minutes, after a full 15 the reading jumps between 248-252. The same readings (with a little bit of negligible difference) are measured from the ballast to the bulb.

The new fixture have internal ballast for the T5 counterparts. From the wall to the fixture was an interesting reading, since both are wired to separate switches yet wired into the same plug to the wall. I measured around 176w with a little sway after 2 minutes. Now split between what are supposed to be 4 54w HO bulbs, this doesnt measure correctly (should see 216 no?). I am not sure whether the bulbs themselves can affect the reading or whether the internal ballast will only pull this much wattage.

So there it is, ballast readings for the new Aquatraders MH fixtures. If anyone has some knowledge as to why the T5 might not pull the correct wattage please chime in.

TL;DR

MH ballasts - 248w-252w (correct readings)
T5 Ballast - 176w (Underpowered?)

All I can think is that they throttled back and are under driving the lamps since they are used more for color suppliment than for light out put. Could go along with the "green" switch concept.

Just out of curiosity, what is the wattage used when the green switch is on.

Good question BJ, let me play around with it today and try to pull some more readings, I am really curious as to why the t5's arent fully powered. I am thinking about rewiring some maybe or seeing if i can find the internal ballast and seeing what the deal is on it. When my new bulbs get in tomorrow I will have to take the whole damn thing apart to change the bulb anyways.Will post back then.

Back