HOB Protein Skimmer.

banthonyb71

Reefing newb
Need help picking out a Protein Skimmer for a 46 Bow.

For my price range (under $150)
I have found decent reviews on the following:
Octopus Bh100f
Aqua C Remora
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Seaclone 150

All these skimmers are hang on the back. (I do not have a sump)
Has anyone heard any reviews on these skimmers?
My LPS tells me the coralife is a great skimmer for the money but that just one opinion and he doesnt know much about the others.

I know a few people will tell me to go buy some big bad amazing $350 skimmer but it just isnt in the cards for me or my pockets. I really would like opinions on thes ones I have listed or of similiar $$$ amount.

Skip the Seaclone and Coralife for sure! The Seaclone is probably THE worst skimmer out there, and the Coralife is okay, but the Octopus and Remora are SO MUCH BETTER. I personally would go with the Octopus. I have used the Aqua C Remora in the past (on a 55 gallon tank) and it worked great. I currently use an Octopus (on my 90 gallon tank), and the Octopus skimmers are excellent and probably the biggest bang for your buck. Octopus is the best performing brand for that kind of money, hands down.

Stay away from seaclone. The other three are good ones. I have had two CSS and haven't had a problem. They are basic ones but work. A lot of people on here like the Octopus. Don't really know about the Aqua's.

Yeah, im not even sure why I put the seaclone on there, I just litterly read a dozen or so horrible reviews. Great reviews on the Aqua c. How bout the coralife though?

Coralifes have a tendency to be difficult to get dialed in and operating correctly. They have a tendency to overflow a lot and cause floods as they are really sensitive to changes in the water. I'd definitely put that one in 3rd place, after the Octopus and Remora.

Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-100

Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-100SS

Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer DBH-300

Ok these are the 3 Skimmers from Octopus that I found in my price range and since there's only a $14 diffrence in all 3 would the DBH-300 be the logical way to go? IS there any design flaws in any of the 3 that would turn me to a specific model?

There is also another one here for $179 but I would only jump to that if it was REALLy worth the diffrence in price.
Reef Octopus Hang on Back Protein Skimmer BH-2000

Lastly why is it I can find any of these skimmers on there website?
Octopus Home
Are they discountinued models? Thanks!

I'm not certain about the differences between them, but as a general rule you should get a skimmer that's rated for 2 x the volume of your tank. For an HOB skimmer, get the largest one you can afford. If there is only a small price difference between the skimmers, then get the more expensive one, IMO.

Back