Homer`s 105 gallon tank build

Homer

Reefing newb
Hellooo friends!

This is my first showcase thread, and this is my first serious marine tank! I think I am risking a lot, but then again, I am just one of those kinds....

Today, brought home my Juwel Rio 400 (got it for 70 $ ) ,so I think, it`s very good price. It was pain in the but, to get it up to the second floor, trough narrow staircase, we ended ,carrying it verticaly and yeah... well. I am nervous and excited now :)

I took some quick shots.

What I have planned and will post in the nearest few months:

Kessils leds,
Cycling tank,
adding rocks,
adding fish of course,
adding corals,
plumbing,
sump,
refugium etc..

I hope it will be fun for You and for me as well. I also hope, that my "English" won`t be to big of a obstacle :)

Ok, till tomorrow :) , going to bed now, too exhausted :)

20121211_214331.jpg

20121211_214815.jpg

20121211_214823.jpg

Tomorrow - cleaning the aquarium and making some better quality pictures. Also posting schematics of my sump etc.

sumpwithaquarium2.jpg

sumpwithaquarium.jpg

So, this is how I plan to build my sump,refugium in to the closet, that happens to be next to the aquarium.. First is intake, middle is return, last section is refugium... I plan to drill only one hole in the aquarium, because I am afraid, that if I drilled two holes in one side, the glass might not hold the pressure :)

1/3 of the aquarium filled with non mixed tap water... Took me quite a while... makes me wonder, how long it will take to get it mixed with ro/di water ... :(

P.s. doing the 1/3 fill with tap, to check if my floor is holding the weight :)

Be making RODI water in a new plastic trash can. You will need it to make RODI water for water changes anyway. See if you can stuff it into the closet. I am making RODI water in my trash can as soon as I make a water change. It has a heater, and power head to keep the water moving and matched in temperature. To change water I have an extra pump on a water hose. I drop the pump into the tank and pump to the toilet down to a level mark. Then I drop the pump in the trash can and pump mixed and matched water back into the tank. It takes about 10 minutes and makes no mess.

What is under the floor in that location?

Be making RODI water in a new plastic trash can. You will need it to make RODI water for water changes anyway. See if you can stuff it into the closet. I am making RODI water in my trash can as soon as I make a water change. It has a heater, and power head to keep the water moving and matched in temperature. To change water I have an extra pump on a water hose. I drop the pump into the tank and pump to the toilet down to a level mark. Then I drop the pump in the trash can and pump mixed and matched water back into the tank. It takes about 10 minutes and makes no mess.

What is under the floor in that location?

I have few projects for my closet... Many interesting ones.... Just now ordered glass for my sump/refugium... Still don`t know how big return pump do I need... Either 9000 l/h or something like 5 000 l/h

Under the laminat... There wooden planks, and belove them, one more rof of wooden planks If my memory is right, they go perpendicullary the aquarium... So they should hold it... Of course I will be veeeery nervous, when I will be filling the aquarium (after I have drilled it- which will be already nerve wrecking experience)... Fingers crossed... and no worries... Today I should have received my glass drill, but nothing, so I guess. Tomorrow...

Good luck! The first fill up is a long process, seeming even more so being impatient to see it come to life. My biggest tank is 60 gallons. I can't imagine filling one over 100 gallons!

Good luck! The first fill up is a long process, seeming even more so being impatient to see it come to life. My biggest tank is 60 gallons. I can't imagine filling one over 100 gallons!

First I am going to fill it with tap water... TO see, if it`s going to hold the weight... If it breaks trough to first floor... at least I will not have killed my clowns :) ...

I just need to man up :D

You should be happy with Your 60 gallon tank - way cheaper, and less stress :D :D

Back