Homer`s 105 gallon tank build

Finally received my toys :)

20121219_152306_zps36965d86.jpg

20121219_152313_zpsa7e8edea.jpg

I plan to build and drill a frag tank as soon as I get this down to a real science.. and you can bet your buns it will be of acrylic. so I can drill with no worries.

I plan to build and drill a frag tank as soon as I get this down to a real science.. and you can bet your buns it will be of acrylic. so I can drill with no worries.

Comon, friend... Don`t go with acrylic .... Glass is better...less scratches and just, glass is more natural... :)

Bought some critters, while I was in LFS... spent 70 dollars... didn`t get anything - thats my life.

Oh, p.s. soon, (like one week) I will have my new Nikon D3200, so hopefully, we will have better picture quality :), than with samsung galaxy s2 :D

20121221_165711.jpg
bought this hermit crab... he is 1/20 of his big brother living in my tank for a year now :D

20121221_142621_zps98962f77.jpg

Killed this critter :( (i just don`t want worms in my tank...) Killed him ,by putting him in freezer..in other words -the humane way :)

20121221_142844_zps7dce289b.jpg

these ones came for free with the rock :) Yay, finally my first baby bristle startfish :)

20121221_161656.jpg

xenia... 20 dollars :(

20121221_161727.jpg

No idea, what they are....

20121221_161732.jpg

or this thing..

Update about my big project (105 gallon), now I am working on the closet, so it could hold the 20 gallon sump... Once I`ll have the new camera,of course, I will upload pictures :)

Video about the build:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-OR9UzKwk]105 gallon reef build - YouTube[/ame]

That was a great video. Your English is just fine. No worries about that at all. Seems well thought out so far, looking good.

That was a great video. Your English is just fine. No worries about that at all. Seems well thought out so far, looking good.

Thank You :)

Well subscribe and wait for next video :) ... and stop me if I am doing something wrong :)

Your English is fine and your vocabulary is excellent. You are doing better than you think. Most of us who speak English as a first language are very used to translated versions from those without it as a native tongue. However, you excelled nicely, and your accent is quite good. Nice job.

Some things occurred to me:
Be sure to allow enough room between your overflow drilled hole and the water surface for whatever kind of straining device you intend to use at the water surface and to get a good down draft before the water hits the horizontal plumbing. You are sharp enough to work that out for yourself. I just wanted to be sure you take that into consideration. I guess you could always do additional down draft plumbing just outside the thank before it enters the closet. However, I'm concerned that if the down tube inside the tank is too short it may be a noisy return, making loud slurping and belching sounds all the time.. and that gets old quickly.

Oh, bye the way.. there is no way you could know... "wink" ...yes we use words to represent the first letters of phrase names of many things.. but..... LED is not one of them for some reason.. we actually say L.. E.. D. Blame us engineers... if you like.

I think I would place vertical wood posts under steel or wood beams in the closet when you brace for that sump. The vertical members will transfer the load directly to the floor at the closet walls, instead of trusting the angle or wood beams fastening method to the wall to be expected to carry the load. I'm thinking you already thought of that.

I like the way you are thinking it through, you and I would be dangerous together. We would be thinking up all kinds of things.. too much alike in the thought processes. :beerchug:

My tank is starting to turn the corner.. as soon as it matures just a little more I will be posting pictures.

In my opinion you are doing an excellent job of planning and researching. I once had a 125 gallon fresh water tank.. my reef is 95 gallons and fits at the end of my desk.. out in the middle of the room. It sure adds tranquility to the office.

Last edited:
Your English is fine and your vocabulary is excellent. You are doing better than you think. Most of us who speak English as a first language are very used to translated versions from those without it as a native tongue. However, you excelled nicely, and your accent is quite good. Nice job.

Some things occurred to me:
Be sure to allow enough room between your overflow drilled hole and the water surface for whatever kind of straining device you intend to use at the water surface and to get a good down draft before the water hits the horizontal plumbing. You are sharp enough to work that out for yourself. I just wanted to be sure you take that into consideration. I guess you could always do additional down draft plumbing just outside the thank before it enters the closet. However, I'm concerned that if the down tube inside the tank is too short it may be a noisy return, making loud slurping and belching sounds all the time.. and that gets old quickly.

Oh, bye the way.. there is no way you could know... "wink" ...yes we use words to represent the first letters of phrase names of many things.. but..... LED is not one of them for some reason.. we actually say L.. E.. D. Blame us engineers... if you like.

I think I would place vertical wood posts under steel or wood beams in the closet when you brace for that sump. The vertical members will transfer the load directly to the floor at the closet walls, instead of trusting the angle or wood beams fastening method to the wall to be expected to carry the load. I'm thinking you already thought of that.

I like the way you are thinking it through, you and I would be dangerous together. We would be thinking up all kinds of things.. too much alike in the thought processes. :beerchug:

My tank is starting to turn the corner.. as soon as it matures just a little more I will be posting pictures.

In my opinion you are doing an excellent job of planning and researching. I once had a 125 gallon fresh water tank.. my reef is 95 gallons and fits at the end of my desk.. out in the middle of the room. It sure adds tranquility to the office.

Thank You for comment :)

You should see my build project for my crawfish pond :) :) :) (and the filtration system) :) - of course,that is purely for business purposes - exporting..

About the shelf in the closet... of course I have been thinking of the best ways to support the weight, and obviously it is easy to break plank horizontally instead of vertically, so obviously there should be some kind of vertical support point.

About the plumbing, what I have decided, don`t know, if it`s right... The overflow goes perpendicularry in to the closet wall, and then there is one T 90 DEGGREE elbow to the sump and the pipe that goes to refugium... I am planning to have around 3.9 inches from the water surface and the place where the water flows out of the pipe in to the refugium and sump, so there is some slashing there for some water movement. About the sound - it does not worry me at all, because the closet is in the living room, and the closet has door. In the worst case scenario, i can simply pack the inside of the closet with sound isolating material or something like that... But I don`t think that sound could be a problem. We in Europe have thick concrete and brick walls (don`t want to be rude, but I have seen that Americans build there houses with wooden frames and walls :) ) . About the return noise, I am planning to put the return pipe under the water. To move the water surface, I have bought one (not too strong) streamer and simply going to point it to the surface.

on 2. January going to vacation till 17. January (going to visit Latvia), when I get back, on 21st is my salary, so finally (F I NALLY !!!) going to buy DI filter system :D :D :D

Just re-read your comment, made me again think about plumbing... about the water drop speed... will it be enough... Because as You can see in the picture,they are almost the same height..

I am waiting for Your tank pictures :) :)

good luck with it..

Last edited:
The plumbing I was referring to is when the water enters the overflow it will make slurp and burping noises sometimes.. that should be enough drop. but the less head (distance down to the sump) the larger pipe it takes. This is because the velocity will be less, and the higher the velocity the more fluid passes per time period. Since it is not so much drop perhaps you may consider having the longest horizontal pipe at a downward slope to assist fluid carry speed. You want to be darned sure you can pass more tank water down to the sump than you need/will have shooting out the returns.

Also, you know this, be sure to install unions (places the pipe unscrews apart). If you do end up with the pipes not wanting to flow enough water volume simply enlarge the horizontal portion diameter between the tank and the sump. Besides, that may quiet the overflow because it will allow air to easily escape back up the overflow.

If you have not, I would do research on shapes of overflow inlets. There are some really sharp ideas out there.

.... the things we do... I have a handlebar mustache and my grand kids have talked me into tying small red and green jingle bells to the curls..... it is amazing how grand kids can twist grand dads around their fingers.

Last edited:
So cool you are going to Latvia for vacation. I would like to go there some day. My father was born in Daugavpils. As part of his Christmas present this year we got him black bread from Riga and I made piragis (my grandmothers recipe) Its a joy to see his eyes light up when he gets tastes from "home" but kind of sad when you see a man who never cries actually tear up. Anyway...take lots of pictures and share please.

So cool you are going to Latvia for vacation. I would like to go there some day. My father was born in Daugavpils. As part of his Christmas present this year we got him black bread from Riga and I made piragis (my grandmothers recipe) Its a joy to see his eyes light up when he gets tastes from "home" but kind of sad when you see a man who never cries actually tear up. Anyway...take lots of pictures and share please.

WOw, the world is really small place... I am from Latvia as well. Born and raised there. And the past 16 years lived in Riga. Only now for my studies I moved to Netherlands,because it provides better education. "Pīrāgi" is the word - and yes,that is one amazing food -as a snack or main course :D :D ... Can`t wait till I get there, mmm, getting hungry as more I think about that delicious food. :)

Very cool, like I said I am half Latvian. Never been there but will some day. My father came over when he was 13 after WWII he went back with my great uncle in 91.

Very cool, like I said I am half Latvian. Never been there but will some day. My father came over when he was 13 after WWII he went back with my great uncle in 91.

Many people ran from Latvia, because of the MF Russians...and still do, but You know, that`s life :)

Anyway,I would You suggest to visit Latvia in Summer (June or July (beginning). Latvia is officially the second greenest country in the world, so the nature is very beautiful, but winters... well, they tend to be very harsh, so I don`t suggest to visit Latvia in Winter .. Fun fact - First Christmas tree in world, was placed in the center of Riga :) .

If You visit Latvia in Summer, I can arrange a place where You can stay ( near center), my family owns 18 flats in Riga, and usually at least one of them is free :) .

I also can arrange some cool tourist things - diving, hunting you know, stuff like that :)

Fuck me!!!! happy new year... Just found my clownfish dry under radiator... :( :( I had that couple for more than a year, really got attached to them... amm, so what should I do witht he clownifsh daddy, who lost his wife? Bring back to store and get a new couple? Or just buy clownfish for him, and hope that I will buy a chick, or that if i buy a guy, he will turn in to chick?

with clowns buy either a bigger one or a smaller one. The smaller one will turn male and the bigger female (or the other way around I forget) if they are the same size one of them will get killed. Sorry for your loss btw

with clowns buy either a bigger one or a smaller one. The smaller one will turn male and the bigger female (or the other way around I forget) if they are the same size one of them will get killed. Sorry for your loss btw

thanks... Well... I didn`t have cover,so it is kinda my fault ...

Back