Honest opinion on RO/DI unit... What a waste of money.

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I bought a typhoon lll and what I didn't know about ro/di units is that for every 1 gal of ro/di water you get 4 to 5 gal of waste water. What a waste. I bet you break even if just go to walmart and get it for .33 cents a gal and the huge PLUS YOU HAVE A WHOLE LOT LESS BUCKETS TO LUG AROUND, BECAUSE YOU WONT HAVE ALL THE WASTE. Also if you get it from walmart, well at least form mine. You get good water every time I have tested it it has been at 5 ot 10 PPM. Which is awsome for not having to lug a million buckets around. Now I'm just pissed. I have been wanting one for a while and now that I got one I want to send it back. Well unless someone has a good reason for me to keep it, than I'll have one for sale VERY SOON.

END RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!:grumble:

I feel like you sorta.....I still buy my saltwater premade.Its just easier to buy it then make it myself.When I got back in the hobby,I bought an RO unit,with all the waste water and cartridge changing,it was just more convenient to buy the water.Its not like I take extra trip to LFS,I there all the time anyways.You have it so might as well use it.You are saving money in the long run,right?

I don't know if I am saving. I have soo much waste and then when you have to lay down 40.00 buck for new filters I think I would be much better off just buying it. I'm like oyu though, I make soo many trips to the lfs and walmart it just don't matter. I still super pissed though. I already had two floods because I ran the waste line to a bucket to measure the waste VS good and forgot about it. Stupid RO/DI unit.

Thats one of the reasons I still get my water from wal-mart too.Its just easier since the wife is there at least a couple a times a week and I dont have to worry about the extra waste water.
One thing you could use the waste water for,Buy your wife a big wash tub and a scrub board,then she could use it for washing clothes,washing dishes,giving the kids a bath.:mrgreen:

One thing you could use the waste water for,Buy your wife a big wash tub and a scrub board,then she could use it for washing clothes,washing dishes,giving the kids a bath.:mrgreen:

HAHA If I did that I think I would have to give up the hobby.LOLBut not a bad idea.

I have my waste water draining into the washer. This way I'm not wasting water. So to me it's worth it. I'm not worring about having to get to the store to buy water.

Handier for the people with huge ass 180+ gallon tanks. I buy culligan, which is a local water company that supplys ro/di for about a buck a gallon, which is normal price up here

have you went to wal-mart for water lately? I went last night and there was no distilled water on the shelves. the associate said they had to pull all of it off the the shelves. something about a bad bacteria that was in it. hmmm. wonder what I poured into my tank last weekend when I did my water change? that made me want a ro/di really bad last night. that and i'm sick of going to wal-mart for water anyway.

as far as the water bill from waste water. the water companies around here charge a semi-flat rate for water anyway. anyone using 3500 gallons pays x amount. 3500-5000 gallons is x amount. so the extra waste water probaly wouldn't make any difference in my bill anyway.

Last edited:
Fish you have a good point. Yes I did go yesterday and all the distilled was gone. I was wondering why, however, I bought the ro water out of the machine. It is half the price and both my TDS meters say between 5 and 10 PPM TDS.

have you went to wal-mart for water lately? I went last night and there was no distilled water on the shelves. the associate said they had to pull all of it off the the shelves. something about a bad bacteria that was in it. hmmm. wonder what I poured into my tank last weekend when I did my water change? that made me want a ro/di really bad last night. that and i'm sick of going to wal-mart for water anyway.

as far as the water bill from waste water. the water companies around here charge a semi-flat rate for water anyway. anyone using 3500 gallons pays x amount. 3500-5000 gallons is x amount. so the extra waste water probaly wouldn't make any difference in my bill anyway.

Hadnt heard anything about that Fish.Our wally world hasnt pulled any of their distilled water.And I just used 15 gallons of it Friday night for a water change.

I think it just happened yesterday yote. I figure that it will be pulled everywhere. It all comes from the same place. just right up the road from me....the tap in bentonville, arkansas.

Well, my water is paid for by my home owner's association. I don't have a way of keeping track of the waste my unit produces because it's plumbed straight into the sink (my exhusband installed it, so I really have no clue what goes where). I agree that for a small tank, an RODI unit is more hassle than it's worth. But I go through 5 to 10 gallons in evaporation per day, so I would HATE to have to lug all that water from anywhere!

RO efficiency is based upon water temperature and water pressure and not water quality. Low pressure high permeate flow (waste water). Lower the temperature higher the permeate flow. Also low pressures and low temperatures produce lower quality of RO water. That is why pressure booster pumps and permeate pumps are produced for those who are worried about performance and cost of water production. Most people who use RO filters are health conscious more than cost conscious and are only worried about a gallon or two of drinking or cooking water per day and do not notice or care about efficiency or in efficiency, just ready availability and a healthy product. RO operating water pressure is best at 75 psi or higher and 50 psi is considered the minimum operating pressure for a RO filter. If you have low pressure use a pressure booster pump. If you have pressure just above 50 psi get a permeate recycling pump. Still with really poor quality water a RO filter will produce good water cheaper than a DIO filter. Commercial establishments run high water pressures therefore produce RO water efficiently and cheaply. However, they are making a profit which shows that you can produce your own RO water cheaply, just under poor initial conditions start up costs are high if you want cheap water. At 75 psi your permeate will be about 1 to 1.5 gallons per one gallon produced with out a permeate pump. Preheating your water through use of coiled tubing to bring water up to room temperature will cut permeate level down even more. I use a booster pump and my RODI water test out at Zero dissolved solids and is cheaper, safer and much more convenient than store bought, but I put about $600 into setting it up, but it includes a 10 gallon pressurised holding tank, a faucet at the sink with RO water and a seperate line which runs to a DIO filter then a 2 gallon pressure tank that exits through tubing running to a ball valve next to a rubber maid trash can for reef make up water. Clean healthy drinking and cooking water on tap, great coffee water on tap and reef water cheaper than store bought. And it all hides under the kitchen sink, except the faucet and the rubber maid trash can. Melonbob, even in Fairbanks, Alaska RODI water is just 50 cents per gallon at Culligan if you bring your own container. Where are you that you pay that much? As far as what to use the waste water for: the chief thing removed by an RO filter is calcium (hence harder waste water) and phosphate. Heavy metals are removed by both the carbon and RO filter. An increase of 20 to 25% calcium will not make a huge difference in a garden but will gradually raise pH of soil, but for laundry it will increase the need for soap quantity. Most chemicals are removed by the carbon, sediment by sediment prefilters, chlorine by carbon filter. Phosphate and So the permeate water will grow bacteria faster than before it ran through filter so should not be stored for drinking water without adding chlorine, as well the RO water is not considered safely storable for drinking water without chlorine addition, however completely sterilizing the water with UV lights is done quite often for the more expensive bottled waters. The payback period of my RODI filter worked out to be however long it takes to use 2400 gallons of RODI water. Thats with a cost an investment of $600 versus a purchase price of 50 cents per gallon commercially. Consider also $150 of my cost was shipping pieces and parts to Alaska.

Last edited:
Back