Hoodless or not?

Live Rock

Reefer
Hi everyone, I noticed that after I set up my quarantine tank, it stayed at a constant 78 degrees without a fan in 83 degree heat. However, my display tank (Biocube 29) was at 81 degrees when the temps dropped to 80 degrees. I unplugged my heater, and I ran a fan. Nothing worked. I don't think lighting raises the temps (I only have my 2 actinic bulbs running because my hammer was very irritated when I used both blue and white lights.) Should I take off the hood and use different lighting? (I also ordered a hang-on tank refugium, so how should I install it with the hood?)

The heat generated from the pump may keep the water at 81 degrees. I've seen this before but I'm not sure about the ones that come with the biocubes.

I can tell you my tank runs around 80 ALL THE TIME! There is no way i can keep that thing cool! I figured as long as it stayed constant i should be fine. Now if your temps start to rise substantually i would be doing some ice packing around that sucker cause i cant find any other way to keep it lowered. And if you do find a way to keep those temps lower, let me know!

If you are running the stock hood and lighting fixture, prop it open a few inches to allow air in and out. This will help to keep the temp down a couple degrees and still allow your lighting to function properly

My temps are still at 80-81 at night. My hammer has withdrawn its polyps completely and is showing its skeleton in some areas when the temps get above 78 degrees. The tip of it is completely bleached, but it expands its fullest in cooler temps.

If I go hoodless, what light can I use?

How can I stop the spreading of cyanobacteria on my sand? My nassarius snail is not doing a good job.

How can I remove algae on the back wall that is 5 inches long?

I would remove the long algae by hand. If you are having cyano and algae issues you probably are having some sort of water quality issue, which usually comes from over stocking, or over feeding. Bet way to beat it is figure out where you nitrates/phosphates are coming from and fix that.

Back