Hoopsdaddy's 165g build

be careful with the rock from the drs. because it will come to you uncured so you will need to cure it in a seperate tank for atleast a month. also the tank is coming along and is looking good, but dont you think the sides being painted on that tank will come to be a viewing problem?

Looking really good and I hope all goes well. I love that Vlamingi and can't wait for mine to get that big. I will be watching for more pics of when it is clear. Do you have two 400 watt lights or just one?

be careful with the rock from the drs. because it will come to you uncured so you will need to cure it in a seperate tank for atleast a month. also the tank is coming along and is looking good, but dont you think the sides being painted on that tank will come to be a viewing problem?

Only one side and the back is painted black. The side you see when you come in the room is clear. The right side we left black and are very glad we did. It adds a lot of depth in person. I will try to get a side shot to post.

Looking really good and I hope all goes well. I love that Vlamingi and can't wait for mine to get that big. I will be watching for more pics of when it is clear. Do you have two 400 watt lights or just one?

I guess I am going to get laughed at a little here. The only lights on the tank currently is a 260W pc and the 400W MH. I have one more reflector comming(you saw two in the pic) and then I will and....dual 250'sMH. I plan on single handedly supporting my power company. lol. Got a great deal on all the lighting so I am hooking it all up. This is the first time I have every had halides. Now I am wondering (after seeing the 400) if I overkilled big time.
Been enjoying watching your build kvcgsxr600.

Yeah Capt. Instead of 1-250 and 2-175's I went 1-400 and 2-250's. I know I am an overachiever.ha

Last edited:
Time to get some more picts on here.
First is my SS star. He is currently in another tank because there is nothing for him...her....to eat in the new tank. Have had this guy for over 2yrs.
DSC00083ed.jpg
[/IMG]
Tank is clearing up very well. I wish I had a better camera but if I had the money to spend on a camera I would just go buy more corals.
DSC00084ed.jpg
[/IMG]
Some were asking about the sides being scraped. We only scraped one side. The side you can see from entering the room. Glad we did and glad we didn't scrape the opposite side.
DSC00090ed.jpg
[/IMG]
What do ya think so far???

Last edited:
Looks good!

How tall is that canopy and how far are the bulbs above the water line in the tank? The bulbs should be about 8" above the water. You can end up with some heat issues if those bulbs are too close to the water, plus they will get cover with alot of salt creep.

And don't forget about the new live rock you have coming in. You can't add it to your tank until you cure the rock.

Thanks,
It was pretty white in the bag and we both liked it. Then we put it in the tank against the black backgroung and sha-zam! it really pops. Very glad we went with it.
"Thanks to all the Living Reefs gang who helped us make a good decision."
It's the Argamax oolitic from 2Dr's. Cheapest place I could find it and they shipped it right to the door. How nice of them.

Absolutly loving the new tank. The rest of the live rock will be in tomorrow. I have already gotten the tubs of SW ready and my last reflector comes in tomorrow. Finally. It feels like everything takes forever when your excited about something.

Thanks everyone! Live rock came in today. Die off didn't look bad and the rock didn't have an oder. Washed it in SW and then put it in tubs to start recure. Cant wait to get it in the tank. Last reflector came in today also. I will try to get some more picts up soon. Finished a couple DIY projects and will post those here also.

Thought I would give you all an update on tank. Things are moving along and so far everyone has survived the big move. All my fish look so small in this tank. I can't wait to add some more fish and corals, but I still need to add some equipment and want to wait until I am through doing that to get some more fish and corals. Ok I will shut up and just show you some more picts.

Here are some sump shots. The sump holds a little over 35g.
DSC00089ed.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00086ed.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a DIY reactor that I built I have been running carbon in it the first week. I will switch to phospate remover this week.
DSC00050ed.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are a few of the LPS I added to the tank.
DSC00109ed.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00110ed.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the live rock that I received from liveaquaria.
DSC00112ed.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00111ed.jpg
[/IMG]

Also did a DIY auto top off. I love this feature. :^::^::^:

Hope all of your tanks are looking great.

Back