Hoopsdaddy's 165g build

Took a little over 250lbs just to get that! It is turning out how I wanted though. Gonna let everything run for a couple more weeks and get in 2 more K-4's. I should get to order them this week. Then it will be time to start adding some corals.

Thought I should update since it has been a while. The tank is comming along great. The algae is finally (mostly) under control and I have coraline growing on everthing now. I have added the K-4's(3) and got the new skimmer tuned in and have just been letting the tank stabalize for about a month now. Water turnover is at 25 x per hour. Did have one issue this weekend with stray voltage. Ran straight to the computer and searched the forums. Got the info I needed and had the problem fixed in a matter of minutes. (Thanks) Also had to fish one of the fire gobys from the sump. Guess he needed some excitement.
So now I am getting ready to add some fish. I am listing my fish wish list and awaiting your wrath....
Along with my current fish I am wanting to add
1-Hippo Tang
1-Blue Tang
1Sailfin Tang(des.)
1-Flame angel
3-Redheaded fairy wrasse ( Wanted to do anthis but hear they are very needy compared to wrasses.)
And finally 1-Blue jaw trigger. Obviously not added at the same time but in this order and about 3 weeks apart depending upon how quarantine goes.

This would put the tank at 4 tangs, 1 angle, 3 wrasses, 1 trigger, 2 gobies, and 2 cardinals. To much???

to be honest I would say that is going to be a little bit overboard. Given you have a vlamingi that is going to be LARGE in no time and your wanting to add 3 other tangs to it who will all cropdust the tank with poop. I have 1 tang in my 180, soon to be 2 and there is no way I will consider more than 2. Its just way too messy. also its really good to have tangs in a 6 foot tank (minimum) my 72 inch tank has my valmingi pretty cramped, yet still not cramped enough to be unhappy. I would go with minimum 2 tangs and the rest should be pretty good.

just hopped on to your thread. i am loving your tank. i think the aquascaping really does look great. not a bad job at all. that does sound like a LOT of fish to have in your tank. i love the fairy wrasse personally! theyre gorgeous and the coloring is amazing.

what blue tang? powder, atlantic? i vote powder ;)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+328&pcatid=328 this is the tang I was looking at getting.
I have been seriously thinking I should drop the sailfin from the list because it could get as big as the Val and I know two fish that size would really over crowd. Crap. I just joined the big tank club and I already need to upgrade. Ha!

Should I add the fish first and then start adding corals? I have noticed this suggested in the past. What do you think?

hoopsdadddy said:
Crap. I just joined the big tank club and I already need to upgrade. Ha!

Trust me man I know how you feel, I have been in that situation for a long time.... Can't wait to have something at least 7 feet long.

Dont think I'd go over 2 tangs either.ANd the Atlantic Blue would be a good choice.
Mine dont seem to be as aggressive as a lot of the other tangs,and fun to watch racing around the tank.

Well, thought I should update since it has been awhile again. I am continuing to learn so much about this hobby. Every time I got something figured out I screw something else up.
I found a beautiful sailfin tang and bought it. Brought it home and tested the water on my hospital tank and numbers where out of whack.(oh crap!) so instead of taking the fish back to the store I acclimated it to the display and added it. :D:sfish:
It got along well with everything and was eating great. Three days later though:pooh::frustrat: it was covered in ich. This was the first time I have had a fish with ich. I did 2 water changes and he continued to eat well so I am hopeful at this point. three days later I have a gramma, goby, cardinal, and worst of all is my vali are covered in ich. To make a week long treatment story short I lost my vali:sad: that I have had for three years and my gramma. :sad: The cardinal has recovered and the sailfin is good again but I have learned to not make that mistake again. I know I should have quarantined or taken it back and it cost my my fav fish. I find I usually hate learning from experience.

On a better note though I have added some new corals and got a call from a local reefer last night who is big into SPS. He wants me to come by and pick up some corals Thursday to help me get started. I will post picts when I get them home. Yote I have been dipping the corals in the solution you recommend and all are doing well. Also added a clam. So far so well with it also. I will post picts today.

Can you identify this for me? I believe it is a green plating monti?
DSC00041edit_305175.jpg
[/IMG]
Yellow Scroll
DSC00042edit.jpg
[/IMG]
Another monti. Any ID?
DSC00044edit_469177.jpg
[/IMG]
New Clam
DSC00043edit_390899.jpg
[/IMG]
And a FTS so we can watch it through the months/years.
DSC00045edit_48309.jpg
[/IMG]

Hate to hear about a ick battle.And really hate to hear you lost the vali.That sux.
I'm just like you.I hate learning from experience.Plus it can get real expensive real quick.
You DO know that you start those SPS,that your hooked right?:D
Can wait to see the pics.

2nd pic from the top is a scroll coral.The 1st and 3rd are different kinds of plating montis.All 3 should do great.Thats a good looking clam too.
And the tanks looking awesome.

Hard to tell on the 1st one. possibly could be a mycedium also. I would not go with monti based on the pic. cant really be sure though.

Back