Hornet's 150 gal Ocean

Hornet

Reefing newb
I guess it's time for me to post a chronicle here so you guys can see what I have going on and have something to refer to when answering my dumb questions.

I started this project a few months ago. I've been moving rather slow because I just buy equipment when I see deals, have cash, or get up nerve to do the work :). Here's some details on some of the stuff I have or want to get/do.

Custom built Stand
Stand is 36" high​
150 gal H Perfecto Standard Tank (48"x24"x30")
Drilled 7 holes in back glass
2 1.5" holes for 1500 gph Glass holes overflow box
2 1" returns from sump
1 2" Feed for CL Dart
2 1" CL returns
Drilled 2 holes in Bottom glass
2 1" CL returns towards front of tank. (outputs will face reef)
40 gal breeder
for sump and will go beneath stand
ACIII w/DC8/Temp/PH probe
saved a few bucks on it as I got it from a guy that bought it and decided not to use it.
Reeflo Dart pump
For cloosed loop. One of the older Darts, picked it up used off of craigslist.
Panworld 100px-x pump
Purchased new. Pump for return from sump to DT.
2 100w titanium heaters

Things I'm planning on getting:

Octopus Extreme Skimmer Series 200
Already ordered should be here next week.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]48" 7 lamp Aquactinics Constellation T5 lighting fixture

Live Rock
[/FONT]
Still trying to decide between a couple of different places. Will be a mixture of dry/base and live rock.

Here's a couple of the many pics I've taken so far:

I've already touched up some bad spots on the finish of the stand. I'm still not sure about the finish and I'm considering painting the whole stand with a solid coat of pain if I can figure out a color that will look right in the room.

TankStand4.jpg

You can see the Bulk Heads in back of the tank and the 2 in the bottom glass in this pic.
Tank_913-2.jpg

I'll probably be picking up the pace on things now that I've ordered the skimmer.

Personally,I think that stand looks great.
And with what you've already got,and plan on doing.Looks it'll be a helliva reef tank.

Thanks for the comments.

My girlfriend also says the stand looks good. I just keep focusing on a few spots that did not stain well. I keep painting scrape pieces of wood with different colors and she always tells me to leave the stand like it is. I just know that once I fill this beast with water there is no turning back.

It looks good Hornet, trust you girlfriend the stand is fine. Coming from experience you will notice every little imperfection in any work you do but nobody else will. Looks like a great start!

Your getting off to a great start. Nice and slow is the way to go. Once it's filled it's harder to change something. Also stand looks great.

I can use some help trying to figure out how plumb my overflow to the sump. The crappy paint picture shows 2 different ways I thought of. I'm kinda leaning towards the blue lines.

Overflow-to-Sump.jpg

Will one of these work? Or do you have a better idea?

I take it that the compartment on the right is a refugium?
If it is,Then the green paint would be my choice.

Well, it's been a LONG time coming!

I finally got some water in my tank. I got it all plumbed yesterday and I'm doing a fresh water test for leaks. Thankfully, I only found one leak so far. One of the valves was missing a gasket, but I've replaced that and all is well. I'm getting excited as I'll be seeing saltwater soon. :^:

In all my newbness I did make one big mistake in my design. I drilled the holes for the return from the sump too low. As soon as I drilled them I realized they were too low but I thought I could fix it with some crafty plumbing... dumb me. I did a power outage test and water just kept draining and draining. Far as I see I have two options: I can get some more loc-line segments and angle the sump returns up higher, Or I can drill a hole in the top of the plumbing and put a tube in the return line from the sump. I think I'll probably end up doing both. Anyways here's a few pics:

If you notice a change in the stand, I got annoyed with my crappy stain job so I decided to paint the stand with some leftover paint. I think it looks a whole lot better.

Looks good.
You actually have a 3rd option on your returns.You can install a check valve that will shut when the water flow reverses.

You just need to make yourself a durso standpipe.
http://www.randystacye.com/dursostandpipe.htm

compact%20durso1.jpg

Are the 2 return on the bottom for a closed loop?

hmmmm...not sure I understand your plumbing. Is the hole in the middle with the strainer the drain or the intake for the closed loop? When is the drain/overflow?
The depth of your returns look fine, assuming they are the loclines.

Last edited:
I've thought about that too but I'm kinda thinking I'll be good if I had a few more sections the loc-line hose (see the sideview picture above). I angled the loc-line higher and the water draining back into my sump was acceptable. The angle I had to point the flare to get the water line higher seems to be creating more aggitation(noise) on the surface than I think I'll need.

The durso pipe might be the way to go or even just a couple of 90's and some pipe to raise it up to the level of my overflow. grrr,, I'll mull it over some more and come up with something. I know I've gotta fix something.

Huh? So the hole with the strainer is a drain going to your sump...or the intake for a closed loop? What about the 2 on the bottom?

Take a pic head on of the front of the tank.

Last edited:
That's the intake for the closed loop. I've got a Dart and a OM 4-way on the closed loop and a panworld 100-px running the return from the sump. The 2" pipe is the intake for the Dart CL. The returns from the OM-4 way are 1"

Thanks yote. You are right I forgot about the check valves. I was thinking about them after I drilled the holes to low but kinda forgot about it after I checked the price on some good 1" check valves.

Thanks Bifferwine,

I was looking at these check valves as they can be easily disassembled for cleaning. Plus I just realized I don't need two check valves as I was originally thinking. I have 1" pipe coming from the pump that T's into 3/4" for 2 returns. $80 for valves was not sounding good, but 40 for 1 is doable. Any thoughts on the valve I linked above?

Back