Hornet's 150 gal Ocean

I picked up some live rock off of cragslist today. Got about 120 lbs of rock for $200. I also have about 40 lbs of dry rock that I picked up off of ebay.

I can't fill my DT with saltwater yet so I'm going throw this rock into a 29 gal and let it circulate. I ordered a check valve and I'm hoping it will be here next week. Once that is in I'll start filling the DT with salt water and it's cycle time :D

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to put the rock dirctly on the glass or put some eggcrate in. I'm leaning towards just putting the rock directly on the glass then putting the sand in around the rock.

Thats not a bad deal for rock.
I didnt use any eggcrete under my rock.Just put the rock in and the sand.Let the water current do the rest.

Thats not a bad deal for rock.
I didnt use any eggcrete under my rock.Just put the rock in and the sand.Let the water current do the rest.

I kinda worry about setting it on the sand. I'd like to have a jawfish one day and I'd hate for that little bugger to get the digging around and cause a rock slide.

Put the base rock in the tank first,to build the foundation of your aquascaping.Then fill in around that with your sand.That way the rock is sitting on the glass and not the sand.You really dont want live rock sitting right on the sand any how.

Got my check valve today and I'm really impressed with the quality of it. It can be fully disassembled for cleaning. Here's a couple of shots:

DSC_0847_640x426.jpg

DSC_0849_640x426.jpg

I have a D-40 that I'm still trying to figure out how to work. After taking that photo I did realize it's time to shampoo the carpet. Amazing what you see when you look at a photo.

Now for my stupid mistake of the day.

I've been slowly filling my tank this week as I make salt water from my RODI. Up until today I've had all the valves for my Closed loop shut off. I go and open the valve for the feed to the CL pump and water starts going everywhere around the pump fitting. I crack the valve open a few more times trying to find the leak but I can't see where it's coming from. I pulled the pump out and the section of PVC and fill it with water and water goes all over the counter. I come to the conclusion that I screwed the threads up on the pump adapter because I could not screw the adapter that far into the pump (I had removed the pump to fix a leak below the OM-4way after the fresh water test) so its off to True value for a new adapter and a coupler to splice it back in.

I hack up the old piece of PVC put the new pump adapter and coupler on... screw it into the pump, dump some water down the PVC and water goes everywhere again. :grumble: I lift the pump and see water coming out of this perfect little hole. Hmmm Funny how nothing leaked during the Fresh water test a week ago. I start looking around for a plug. I find the plug for my skimmer in bottom of the stand... no luck to small. I remember I found this clear plastic screwy thing a week ago and could not figure out what it was for. I thought it was something from the kids, thankfully I did not throw it away because today I realized it was the plug for the dart pump. :frustrat:

Grrr hacked up a section of PVC spent $3.13 on PVC parts only to find out I only needed to screw that screwy thing into the bottom of the pump. Oh well gave me something to do today.

ONLY $3.13??? You got off lucky! My mistakes in this hobby usually tend to cost me hundreds... :(

LOL give me time. I don't have fish in the tank yet, so I'm sure I'm due some more dumb mistakes. Plus due to my excellent planning of my plumbing I have a huge box of miscellaneous plumbing fittings and at least a thousand trips to the hardware store to buy something that I forgot about. Going to the plumbing isle and getting a few of these and some of those does not seem to get me all the fittings I need, but it does get me a bunch of stuff I don't.

Oh yeah! I have an entire shopping bag full of misc. odds and ends from the plumbing aisle that I thought I needed, but turns out didn't work, didn't fit or weren't necessary. I also have god knows how many feet of leftover PVC in my broom closet, all different diameters.

Finally got the tank full with saltwater and I fired up the skimmer with hopes of clearing up the cloudy water. Things are already starting to clear-up.

Got a question for you guys. I'm going to have a 4" sand bed in the DT (still need to add about another 1/2"). What do you think I should put in the fuge? Should I put another 6" of sand in the fuge & Cheato? Or should I just put some rubble & cheato in there?

No tank pics but here's a couple of shots of the dog this morning in the snow:

DSC_0854_640x428.jpg

DSC_0864_640x427.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking dog. I couldn't even get my dog out the door. He hates snow. I went with a deep sand bed some LR and cheato in my furge.

That dogs saying "Let me back in the house,its cold out here":D

I'd go with 6" of sand in the fuge with cheato on top of it.

Back