HOT skimmer for 36gal

AllaR

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

Just starting my tank, plan to make it into a reef aquarium. I would like to get an advice on hand-on tank skimmers, as I'm currently stuck between choices and need your help.

I'm deciding between Coralife Super Skimmer and AquaC Remora. What I don't like about Coralife is it can easily overflow and also it's size and bulky look. But I've read very mixed opinions about Remora. Don't want to waste money on a bad skimmer.

What is a better choice? Maybe you can suggest an alternative? :HELP!:

Would appreciate any comment!

Thank you!

I've really never heard anything bad about Aqua C Remora. I use an Aqua C Remora Pro and LOVE it. But I've also heard very good things about the Coralife's, and they're a little bit cheaper than the Remoras. I think they are both good choices.

I vote for Aqua C if price isn't an issue.The Coralife is still a good skimmer for the money.Octopus gets my first vote for HOT skimmer(I think they make some now).In sump,Euro-Reef,ASM,Lifereef,MRC.

Last edited:
I vote for Aqua C if price isn't an issue.The Coralife is still a good skimmer.Check out Octopus skimmers too(I think they make HOT skimmers now)

thanks for all your replies!

I'm leaning towards Remora for its ease of use and better looks :) just need to convince my greedy side that the price is ok :mrgreen:

I have another question 8-) about the flow. How the powerpums should be located in the tank and which ones to choose?

Shoot for 10X tank volume for flow rate.You can use Koralias,maxi-jets.Theres a lot of good power heads on the market.
With your tank size,I would go for a couple of Koralia #1s and maybe a smaller power head hid back in the rock some where.You want to get as much random current as you can.
As far as placement in your tank.Try to place them so that you dont have any dead spots,and at least one pointed at the surface to help with gas exchange.

You can't go wrong with the Koralia circulation pumps.Two Koralia(model 1) or one model 2 or 3 should give you a wide flow.The magnet mounts and propellar prop is so way ahead of powerheads.I like to put mine near the surface to ripple the surface,either facing one another or on the back glass facing toward the center of the front glass.

here's the link....Hydor Pumps: Premium Aquatics

Try the odyssea ps75, great skimmer for low price. I have one in my 30g reef, Aquatraders:

IM000177.jpg

Back