how do i properly add new fish to my tank

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
now that im actually getting somewhat serious about this interesting hobby:mrgreen:

how do i properly introduce new fish to my aquarium i know about leaving the bag in the water for some time for the temp to get right but i was reading and i saw something called a drip method WTH is that:shock:

oh and also how should i clean sand i know that whit gravel you syphon it but wont the syphon suck the sand too??

I usually acclimate my fish by putting 1/2 to 1 cup of the tanks water in the bag every 15 minutes. Depending on how long the fish needs to be acclimated I would take the fish out of the bag and not pour the LFS water in to your tank when done..

There are several opinions how to properly acclimate critters to your tank. You may want to look at previous threads on the subject and decide on your own. I think everyone here has their own ways to do it. I personally just float them for 15-20 min and never ever put the LFS water in to my tank. I have seen ick victims in my lfs tanks.

When you buy a fish just look it up on the internet to see how long to acclimate. I usually just do it for 45 minutes and thats it no matter what the fish is. Buy about 15 nassarius snails and that will keep your sand clean.

I don't vacuum my sand. If you get nassarius snails, they will keep your sandbed clean for you.

To acclimate new fish, I float the bag in the tank for about 15 to 30 minutes, then add 1/4 cup of my tank water to the bag every 10 minutes or so for another 30 minutes. Then I move the fish from the bag to my tank with a net. Try not to ever get the water from the bag into your tank! At my LFS all fish are kept in copper treated water before they're bought, so if I accidentally got some of that water into my tank (which I have a couple times before, ahem), it would introduce copper into my tank.

I drip acclimate all fish before adding them to the display.I float the bag first for about 20-30 minutes.Then I pour the water(fish and all) into a styrofoam container.Set the drip line to a constant drip for about an hour-hour and a half.Net the fish and place in QT or display.

I float my new aditions for about 30 minutes.Then set up a drip line.Let it drip untill the salinity in the bag matches my tank,net,and release.
Never put water from the LFS in your tank.

Back