How does petco catch it's fish ?

Yep, and both Petco and Petsmart donate millions each year to local animal shelters as well. You get the option to donate every time you check out at the register. Petsmart asks you if you want to donate $1, and Petco asks you if you want to round up your order to the nearest dollar and donate the change. I give both of them props as responsible chains that promote adoption of pets over buying (at least when it comes to cats and dogs). When I used to volunteer for the Humane Society, I'd have to man the adoption events on the weekends at Petcos and Petsmarts. Some people think they are selling the cats and dogs, but they're not. It's all volunteer staffed adoptions from shelters. Petsmart and Petco are both kind enough to donate space in their store to give shelters a place to hold these adoption events.

+1 Biff, the Petsmart here has a rep from Paws for something or other here every thursday with dogs to adopt, and cats from the Kyle animal shelter(I think thats the name). They are a good example of a big branch store being as responsible as is legitimately possible.

I worked at a Petco for a little under 2 years and while I don't know where the fish are actually being physically caught, I do know we ordered from A&M aquatics and Segrest Farms in Florida. They're both pretty big companys and I don't think they or Petco could afford a scandal as big as cyanide fishing.
I'm sure these stores in completely different parts of the country order from different places, but I really highly doubt they would risk something like that.

Back