How long can fish survive shipping?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
So, I am supposed to be receiving a package from Divers Den today. I guess LA recently switched to using UPS instead of FedEx and the truck its on may not arrive until after the mailroom at work has closed. Is there any chance the fish will survive until tomorrow? I've been in touch with UPS and am trying to find out where the truck is but am getting increasingly worried as the clock ticks on. 2 of 3 packages arrived this morning but the package with the fish in it is still on a different truck and the mailroom closes in 2 hours. I usually see UPS trucks in this area very late in the day and am afraid thats the truck its on. ugh, this is killing me!

Ugh, got a call back from UPS. Package is officially MIA and they are looking for it. Might be on the wrong truck or sitting in ther facility somewhere.

Ah that sucks :(. If they were healthy and bagged properly then hopefully they'll be ok for another day, if needs be.

They were found and arrived safely!

Acclimated and now in the tank. My fingers are crossed that this experiment goes well. Turns out the kole tang is a heck of a lot smaller than I thought it would be based on prior fish I've received from DD. My lemonpeel mimic has made several chasing passes and taken chunks out of its tail already, and lights are still off! But its also holding its own and doing some of its own tail flicking and chasing of the wrasses so at least its feisty! Fingers crossed the mimic settles down and the kole remains strong over the next few days. Otherwise catching this little baby is gonna be a PITA! Oh, and I've already hung a mirror and a nice large sheet of nori, neither of which the mimic is interested in at the moment (thought lights are off so it might not be able to see its reflection in the mirror. I have dry rock at home that I'm going to bring in tomorrow to add to the tank and confuse them for added measure!

How big would you say it is? How big did dd say it would be? Just wondering for future reference. If he is spunky then that is a good sign!

Happy you got your order.
For what it's worth, we've had orders delayed by the airlines to the point that they were 3 to 4 days late. Never a good a thing as the longer the fish are in the bags, the more stress they endure.

So in terms of size, the kole tang was advertised at 2" on DD. When I purchased my mimic tang on DD a year ago it was advertised as 2.5" Now I know the mimic has grown in that time, but I didn't think she was that much bigger. Seeing the kole in person, it is barely bigger than my chromis, about a half-dollar size. It looks like just a baby. If this guy is 2", then my large tailspot blenny has to be at least 3" long, and my mimic has to be at least 4" if not larger. He is substantially smaller than the mimic was when I got her even though they were only advertised as a half inch difference.

I spent several hours trying to catch the little guy to bring him home but didn't have any luck. His fins are totally tattered. I have no idea if he'll make it through the night but definitely have my fingers crossed. He did do some tail flicking at my female clown, who turned on her side and twitched at him, so I think that's a good sign - he's still asserting dominance over the clowns and a few of the wrasses. If I can keep the mimic and melanarus wrasse distracted then he might have a chance. Best would be if I could catch it and put it in a separate tank though. Please think good thoughts for this little baby!

In all honesty, I'm feeling pretty bad about the whole thing. By the time the fish were actually located by UPS and made it to my office I was worried about how long they had been in the bags and so I just acclimated them and added them to the tank without really properly thinking through the fact that he was soo much smaller. It would have been far better for me to just leave him bagged a few more hours and taken him home. I feel really dumb and am going to feel horrible if he doesn't make it. I also don't think I'll call LA and ask for my money back because I feel like this one is one me :(

well at least you're still thinking with a level head. (that wasn't sarcasm) How is everything this morning? Any updates?

I am happy to report that I found the kole out swimming and picking at the rocks like he owned the tank this morning! There's been a few chases but the mimic seems to be leaving him alone for the most part! He's still working out his place in the pecking order with the rest of the fish and despite his size is definitely showing whose boss to the anthias, most wrasses, clowns, etc. I'm thrilled!

glad to hear!! on a side note...LA really pissed me off that they went with UPS now, I used to always be able to hold my package at the facility and pick it up in the morning

now it's wait for the truck which I hate because UPS slacks and doesn't take care of packages

If they are shipped with pure oxygen then usually 24-48 hours is a safe bet. Anything past that, is touch and go.

Happy to hear everything went well though :)

Well, I am sad to report that I am going to lose the longnose butterfly from DD that came in this shipment. He had settled in quite nicely, was eating well, and none of the other fish seemed to pay any attention to him. But this morning he was hiding under my rock arch, didn't eat with everyone else, and has rapidly deteriorated, now lying on his side breathing very heavily. Body and fins look healthy, but there is a small red dot on his snout. I've called LA and their best guess is that he injured himself somehow (ran into the glass perhaps?). Looking online the presence of a red dot or red line is not a good sign at all and usually an indication of bacterial infection that has set in after an injury. Its amazing how a fish can go from so easily settling in to injuring himself and dying in less than 24 hours. RIP beautiful butterfly :(

He's already gone and being attacked by the clean up crew. I can't quite reach his body in the far back of the tank but can see that the brittle star has its legs wrapped around it and there is also a hermit nearby - do you think I can just leave it in there to be eaten?

Back