how long until the clouds go away?!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
My 10g has been up a few weeks, maybe a month. It just got dome cycling last week. I know during the cycle and the first few months there will he lots of algae blooms and what not. I already had a ton of lime green algae everywhere and now it is subsiding. When the green algae started to grow the tank became verrry cloudy. And its still cloudy. This is most likley a bacterial bloom bc its a new tank, but how long does it take to clear up? I think it makes it harder for the light to penetrate the water and it just looks ugly. I wanted to put a skimmer on the tank but its on the counter under my kitchen cabinets so a skimmer won't fit under there. There's just enough room for the tank. Here's a picture of the cloudiness. Don't pay any mind to the zip ties. I had to fix the rock formation. And the cup is for loose rics.

IMAG1846.jpg

Do you think if I did 25-30% water change it would help at all? Or does it does clear up on its own over time.

It would certainly remove some of the population and some of the nutrients, but bacteria repopulate quickly as long as there's food present. But a water change would probably help.....

The water did clear up over time and water changes. It was just a very bad algae bloom I soppose. The water is crystal clear now.

Awesome cause mine looks like a smoke bomb went off in there. :) All my creatures are fine, doesn't seem to bother them. Thanks for the information.

Back