How long would a tang be okay in a 55?

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I want to get a tang soon, probably a powder blue.
Right now I only have a 55 DT and I know that's way too small for an adult size tang. I do plan on getting a huge tank (280 or so) though when I get out of school in 19 months and have a real job to support a mortgage.
Would a tang outgrow a 55 within that time period? I would definetly get a really small one.

0 days.

i go by a personal rule that says if a fish can't be full grown in the tank... the tank is too small.

this is ESPECIALLY true with a PB.

Ich (crypt actually) magnet.

not everyone will agree with me... of course... but the fish is better off potentially going to someone who already has a large tank. plus life is unexpected... what if you don't get that big tank?

Look out for the tang police. we all love tangs on here but they grow soooo fast. if you really want a tang look at the convict tang it is one of the more smaller tangs but still needs room to swim:shock:

tangpolicefs8.jpg

i need to photoshop my name into that...

Well that's rather dissapointing :grumble:

Ah well, I guess I'll just get my MHs and let corals keep me busy for the next 19 months.

PB tangs are extra sensitive and extra sickly. You'd be okay with a yellow tang or a kole tang (they tend to be smaller and slow growing) for a year or two in a tank that size, but a PB tang is risking your entire tank.

Everyone is going to say they can't... just like my Blue tang, yellow, and tomini in a 55 for 2 years... They are doing GREAT to this day... But I'm just really good :P
Actually mine was smaller than a 55, it was a weird sized shorter 55 gallon, about 50 really. 2 years, 5-6" blue tang now, just gorgeous in my new 150, but you can tell they are a LOT happier in their new tank now... It was never supposed to be for 2 years, but it took me that long to find a place where I could have a big tank, and a dog in college...
Powder brown or blue tangs, i've seen people saying "PB" do get bigger though and want more room than a blue tang I'm sure...

Back when I had my 55 I had a yellow tang and a Yellow eyed Kole tang in my 55. They did good for 7 yrs but then I switched to my 125 and they seem much happier with the swimming room. Those are the only tangs I would suggest in a 55 gallon tank. The powder blue needs a 6 foot tank IMO and IME.

Well I really wanted to get a tang that was blue since I already have a royal gramma (pink+yellow), a cinnamon clown (Red) and a cowfish on the way (Yellow). I had a cowfish before but he got stuck in a powerhead overnight :( RIP Sal. My K4s intakes are surrounded by rocks now though so I'm good to go.
Atlantic tangs are really bleh looking and well.... Mr. Walt Disney ruined Hippo Tangs for me.

if your gonna have a reef tank in the future I wouldnt recomend getting that cowfish. he isnt reef safe either:grumble:

Yeah, not to mention he has the propensity to poison and kill every other living thing in the tank as well. They usually do not live long unless they have a tank dedicated just to the cowfish. They are very tough animals to keep.

Solarfall it apears that nothing will work in your tank. Damn. I've never seen someone shot down so much. Have you thought of getting some plastic fish? :mrgreen:

Thats awsome kid. I need one of those with capt. lil joker on it ha ha large and in charge:^::bounce::^:. sloar how about a pic of some fish with the ocean sounds in the background:mrgreen:

Back