How much flow???

Yeah, if your pump is closely matched to your overflows, one ball valve on the return line (and no T back to the sump) may be all you need. But good pumps are expensive (several hundreds of dollars), and when I buy pumps, I buy them so that they can be used not just for my current tank, but for anything I may want to do with them in the future. I do not want to have to spend hundreds of bucks on a new return pump every time I change things. That's why the pump I was using for my 55 was way overrated for that tank, and the one I'm using for my 240 is probably just about right. But I still had to dial them down using a ball valve.

That's why I chimed in, though you are right, he is trying to save money here and basically just get what he needs for now. So he can buy more coral I presume!

Ok here's a sketch of how I was going to plumb everything with the addition of the return into the sump. Green is the drain from the DT and blue is the return. can you guys take a look and tell me if I need to change anything???

oops forgot to attach the pic here it is!

Attachments

• Tank Plumbing.jpg
    Tank Plumbing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 198
Boy I was lost there for a while ... but your illustration in the end saved it. Damn, I'm exhausted!

I don't have anything like that with my Zero Edge.

That Looks great! I saw where you had some valves drawn in. I took the liberty of adding to your drawing. I put valves on everything because, I guess you could say I am a control freak. They are not all necessary, but I think they are nice to have now rather than to have to add later should you ever decide to make change later. Also, just a bit of advice, Don't ever use a valve to reduce flow on the drain side. You are begging for a flood if you do. They can't be used as a flow limiter on the pump side with no problem but your drains should always be wide open. The valves are just installed so that if you need to temporarily stop the flow for maintenence, you can.

Tank%20Plumbing.jpg

I think Justin has interests in a Ball Valve manufacturing company. In addition to the 50 ball valves (or so) added to your drawing, he recommends that you invest in several dozen for back up in case one fails!!! Can't have too many ball valves!:trampolin

ok, I'm sure this is a total newb question, but I know very little about construction-y stuff. what is a ball valve? which kind do you guys use? I tried googling ball valve and there's like... 100s of them.

I think Justin has interests in a Ball Valve manufacturing company. In addition to the 50 ball valves (or so) added to your drawing, he recommends that you invest in several dozen for back up in case one fails!!! Can't have too many ball valves!:trampolin
You know, I knew that someone was going to have something to say about it, but you? I expected more out of you! :trampolin:trampolin:trampolin

Sorry, that's all I had left in me after the "let's not attack anyone" rant! I'm better now went out to lunch and got away from it all for a little bit!

Back