how much light?

dswofford

Reefing newb
I'm setting up a 135 gallon tank (72"w x 18"d x 24"t) and I'm not sure what I want to keep as far as livestock goes, but I would like to have the option to keep what ever I want. With that in mind would two 48" 216w t5's with individual reflectors be sufficient or could I get away with just one?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
not enough. You would be around 3.2 watts per gallon. For the easy stuff you want at least 4 watts per gallon. To be able to have anything you would want to be around 9 watts. So you would need a fixture putting out 1215 watts. So basically double if not triple want you where thinking. :D

For tanks that size (and that deep), you really have to go with MH unless you build your own T5 setup into a hood.

I do have a 72" MH/T5 combo for sale, but it's big and heavy and don't really think it's feasible to ship it.

Here is a 72" MH/T5 combo from Odyssea (not the best brand, but a lot of people are very happy with their lights from them) for $489. (3 x 250 w MH).

Odyssea Metal Halide System

The one I have for sale is more powerful (4 x 250 w MH), a different brand (Aqua Medic) and I'm selling it (used) for $1000.

Ocean Light T5 MH combo - Aqua Medic

Even though the fixture has individual reflectors??? I have been told that with t5's with individual reflectors that the old watts per gallon rule gets thrown out because they penetrated the water so much better....
Obviously I'm new and could easily be wrong. But needing 1215 would put me at needing (5) 250 watt metal halides which poses a problem as I'm not sure how I would fit that many under my canopy unless I went with retrofits. Hell I'm doing well squeezing (2) 48" t5s in my canopy as is.
If that is indeed what it would take for a "high" light tank, would the two t5's be at least considered a "medium" light setup?

Those 2 fixtures will work, but how do you have them configured? I assume each are 4 bulb fixtures....so neither will give good front to back coverage. If they are overlapped in the middle, I would think you can keep anything under that 2' section. You would be limited in what you can keep on the 2' ends with only 4 bulbs over it.

FWIW, I run 3x175 MH and 2x160 VHO for a total of 845w over my 6' 125 and I can keep AND grow anything.

I'm kinda baffled here?If your tank is 72'' long than why two 48'' fixtures?Are they going to be placed front to back leaving a foot on each end with less light.If so,any coral will work under the light.How 'bout a 72'' fixture with at least 6 banks of T5-HO.The Nova Pro's(6 banks) on the lower end,The Aquactinics(7 banks) on the middle end and ATI(8-10 banks) on the higher end cost wise is where I would start.

Back