How much/often to feed a lionfish?

Veilside0Three

Reefing newb
The LFS that sold me the lion told me to feed it every other day. About 5-6 baby guppies per feeding session. I've followed this so far, but it always seems so hungry. It will followe me around the tank, and as soon as those feeders are dropped in, he goes ape%@##. Am i feeding him enough? Or often enough?

for one feeding guppys is not all that healthy for a lion or any saltwater fish check into getting some silversides and soak them in selcon. the reason guppies are not healthy for them is because they are freshwater fish and they do not have the omega-3-fatty acids that marine fish need to survive

James is right.The guppies are ok for a "snack".But your lionfish will be healthier and do better if you'll train him to eat silversides,frozen clam,even mysis shrimp.

for sure give him a variety even throw some small cut up scallops in there sometimes. My lion is 2 yrs old and has been living well with feedings every couple days. I do give it some guppies once every couple weeks cause i think its a little work out for him to chase the things down. Also you should get him eating a variety so he isnt picky about what food he gets.

i just got my lionfish and had been feeding him rosy reds. but i was wondering if there was a worm of some sort i could get that he could eat. i feel bad about feeding him guppies, and from what i read they are not that healthy anyway, and he will only eat what moves. thanks for the help

If you'll take a pair of feeding tongs and kinda wiggle a silverside in front of the lion,you should be able to get him eatting frozen foods.
Although I have fed them damsels a few times.

Back