how to put live rock in

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I have read several books,threads,and articals on setting up a saltwater tank,and am getting a lot of different feedback on how to put live rock in. So I wanted to ask everybody how they did it,do you put the rock in and then sand,or do you put the rock on the sand,or even raise the rock above the sand could somebody please tell me the best way thanks for the responses in advance :frustrat:

I put a light diffuser grid down 1st making sure it does not contact the tank sealant. then I put in the base rock, (Hirock) in. I then build the reef up trying to keep as much circulation around, over, and under as possible. I use epoxy, pins, plastic ties, to secure the rock so it does not collaspe. I then add substrait. all this so far is dead. After the tank gets water, the reef will be seeded from the refugium, and pieces added as the reef animals are introduced. maybe a seed rock or two also. hope this helps. (upper rock was figi). see my gallery for some pics.

Start with a bed of substrate (it's up to you how deep, most recommend between 1 and 4 inches, it also depends on the type of substrate you use, if you have an undergravel filter, etc). Then you can either put the rock directly on top (and dig it in a bit for stability), or you can make a "frame" out of PVC so that you don't waste parts of your live rock under the sand. I personally think it's a matter of taste, how you want your tank to look, and if you want to spend the time and money to build a frame.

what is a diffuser grid is it a egg crate i was thinking about using one to spread the wait but i also am worried about creating dead spots

I agree with john.. Put the rock in before the substrate, that way you don't have a goby etc remove the substrate at a later time causing your rockwork to shift and fall....

The diffuser is a great idea, wish I would have done that to my tank.

thaks for info everyone but i dont know for sure what a diffuser grid is can anyone tell me and if i use one can it make any dead spots

You could paint the bottom of the tank black to stop light from comming into the tank from the bottom. You might paint the back black also, looks much better if you have any hang on equipment.

white plastic square grid units that cover the light fixture to diffuse the light. we all call it egg crate. you could also put whats called star board on the bottom. ive never used it but it is a board of inert material that will also spread out the load. dead spots would not be a problem if you keep a live heathy sand bed, you may even get some nitrate reduction.

Back