Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation powerhead

I am looking for a powerhead for my 65 gal. No corals yet but soon. what do you guys recommend the 1050 or 1400? is the 1400 to much flow or should I go with two smaller powerheads?

What are your experiences with Koralia and what other brands should i have look at?

thanks.

Yep, good price and reliable, some do sometimes reverse flow, just give it a good soak in vinegar and clean and your good.

Thanks for all your help. I just ordered one 1400 for now should be in by Fri then Sat I can pick up my first coral. I also rescape the rocks again last night probably the 4th time i did this already. I moved all the rocks towards the back glass. its now using the glass as stability...should be fine touch the glass right? it feels so much more secure.

I just put in the new powerhead and it's really quiet can barely hear it. What are you recommendations on placement? Right now all the live rock is against the back all and I have the powerhead at the front bottom left. The return is coming in at the back center dropping in on a 45 to the front right. That also leads to another question – the return is currently a 45 degree pvc and I have a 90 degree pvc that I can use are well but that will breaking into the surface causing the ripple effect and bubble or is that what I want as well.

I guess the ultimate question is what should I be trying to achieve as far as water flow, how do create that, what should I avoid, etc.?

Also I just picked up my first 2 corals today at the LFS – zoa and frogspawn. I placed them at the bottom for now not sure where to place yet.

Please excuse the picture quality of my phone.

salts001-albums-corals-picture1660-front-view-no-coral.jpg

salts001-albums-corals-picture1659-side-view-no-coral.jpg

salts001-albums-corals-picture1658-imag1072.jpg

salts001-albums-corals-picture1657-zoanthus.jpg

salts001-albums-corals-picture1656-frogspawn.jpg

I would go to bigalspets.com and pick some up. I just purchased 2 1400 for $46 a piece. Spend $75 shipping is free and here's a coupon you can try for extra 10% off. superb10

I know, older thread, but just a quick note.

As for the reverse flow that some have experienced, me included, its easy to put back to correct. Simply power down the unit and power back up. It might take a few tries, but it will go back to correct operation. Also, make sure you keep them clean. 4 months max between cleanings. As mentioned, soak in vinegar for 1/2 an hour, wipe down and rinse. Make sure you pull the prop out during cleaning and make sure the magnet gets a good wipe down.

I have noticed that flow rapidly decreases the dirtier these get. My 2 750s were barely moving any water after 5 months. A quick cleaning and they were like new. couldn't believe they weren't pushing water until I cleaned them!

Yea. I got a 850 from a fellow reefer and it was extremely bad. I just filled one side of the sink with vinegar and added a lil water and stuck the powerhead right in the sink for an hour and then cleaned it with a toothbrush. Now it looks brand new and works like a charm.

Back