I am in trouble

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So, picture this. I am headed to the fish store to pick up a few things. I wander toward the back and...there it is. My brown-banded bamboo shark. He is perched up on the substrate, and I swear there was a small beam of light from heaven illuminating him for me. I think I heard the Hallelujah chorus from Handel's Messiah as well, but I may have been mistaken. I quickly asked some dumb-ass clerk to toss in some krill to see if he was eating.

BAM

He sucked up krill like it was going out of style. I almost messed myself. I jumped at his price tag...$30. He looked a bit small (about 8 inches), but I told myself "He can tough it out against angelfish - he is a shark afterall.

Faast forward to home. I acclimated him into the 125 and released him to swim about his new home. He passed the Sohal tang, who ignored him completely. But then, as he came to rest on the sand bed.......it happened

The angels came at him to check him out. At first, they did a swim-by and then flew in for a nip. They kept nipping. I was appauled! I grabbed my net to grab him out, but he slid under a rock. the angels would not leave him alone. Clearly, he is not big enough to imtimidate them. I had one that was just over a foot long do great with a Niger trigger and an emperor so I am confident this species can and will survive angels, but this little guy does not have the chops....yet.

I literally dove into my tank to nab him and I rushed him upstairs to the 90. I dropped him in and said out loud..."huh....I wonder if this is a dumb idea...?" Now, it is too late. He has made a home under the rocks and seems quite happy. He lives with a royal gramma (soon to be edible size) and two clowns (which will not be at risk since they live about 1 inch away from their BTAs at all times, and a few colorful shrimps, who may end up being lunch.

Here is my question. What the hell do I do NOW? Granted, I am a dumb-ass and got a shark on impulse that is too small for his intended home (stop laughing Biff and Yote, like YOU have never bought a fish on impulse). Do I tear apart my tank to catch his cute-little butt and take him back to the store tomorrow? DO I risk him eating my shrimp and gramma over the next few months, while he grows and then try him back in the 125? I doubt he is a risk for anything else in my tank and I know he will not touch my corals or my clams. He is too little to rearrange my rock-work, but he!!, he is a shark after all? Ideas?

-Doc

I will post a pic tomorrow, when the lights come back on. Unless you think I should get rid of him and then, I won't

-Doc

I would say leave him in. Shrimp are replaceable. So is the gramma. Unless you are really attached to them. It just seems like too much of a hassle at this point to catch him and take him out.

getting rid of him or not ... Doc you got a shark PICS please!!!

uhhh see how he fairs in the 90. if all goes well I would re introduce him to the 125 later.

Hows Dory gonna do with the shark not too much stress on the ol girl ?

Your going to have to put the shark in the 125 eventually,right?
How much bigger and how long will it take before its safe with the angels?Maybe you need another big tank for your big plans.

Congrats on the shark-some pics would be cool.

Your little shark got...

sumo-owned.jpg

owned_horsie.jpg

wheelchair_owned.jpg

By those angels. What a wuss.

sounds like the general concensus is to keep him in. He needs to grow about 6 inches to survive. It will take about 6 months. THey grow SUPER fast as juveniles. He is eating, and that is what makes them tough to keep.

Dory did seem to care. I don't even think she knows he is in there

Ii will get some pics tomorrow

-Doc

Here is a poor pic of him. If i keep him, I may get some better ones later.

-Doc

PB050001.jpg

yeah. I guess they are SUPER territorial and perceive everything as a threat and or become curious about their surroundings. They check to see if everything can be food as well. I am kicking myself for getting a shark that was too small. I have my LFS friend seeking a bigger one that will not get picked at. Angels seem to respect things that are twice their size or bigger. Kinda like us humans do.

Angels tend to attack the eyes first and then wreck havoc on their underbellies. Pretty fish, but nasty tempers. They get along with the Sohal thus far tho.

-Doc

It ain't the money either. In the scope of things, $30 is a piss in the bucket. It is the emotional attachment of buying my favorite shark and he is eating (which can be tough). I may keep him around to see how he does in the reef tank and move him later. Yote, you seem to think I should lose him, please tell me more.

-Doc

Keep him Doc, that a awesome lil guy. He should be ok in the 90 till he is a bit bigger to defend against them bully angels... If he is eating, and doing well then whats the delima? KEEP HIM!

I am going to give him a try for a few weeks. If he keeps eating and leaves things alone, then I am in him for the long-hau

-Doc

I am planning on shooting a video of him eating with the camera and posting it on a thread. I am headed out of town (did you catch that Redline?) so I will not be posting for a week or so (did you hear that Alexander?). When I get back, I will get one up. I have a song picked out to run to the video, but for some reason, I am computer-stupid and haven't figured out my MAC enough to know how to do that.

Basically, be patient and better pics are coming

-Doc

I agree! Sharks are too cool, give him a chance. Like Biff said what's a few shrimp and a gramma? It's natural selection right?

one of the main reasons I chose this guy in the first place, two years ago, was that they are not aggressive predators as most sharks are. They are quite passive. I used to pet and hold my other brown-banded bamboo several times a week. I would turn him upside down and literally play with him. He was soooo cool. They are opportunistic eaters and search the sand bed for food - until they are conditioned to find it in the water column. even then, he never mistook a tank fish for a silverside. I am excited to raise another one and then put him in a "touch-tank".

-Doc

Back