I can't find my new goby and pistol shrimp..

bkc824

Reefing newb
I just bought them 2 days ago and the first day they were hiding but weren't with eachother. My pistol shrimp was in a rock and my goby was under one. i think its called a barbershop goby? Anyway.. i found them that night and now there nowhere to be found -_-

i have a foxface
Hippo tang
Percula clownfish
3 little damsels
naso tang
2 starfish
and a different goby (orange spotted watchman?) but the guy said they'll be fine together.

Any suggestions?

well our goby got ripped to shreds by our clown fish. We took the clown fish out, but the poor little guy did not make it. If they died you would probably see them somewhere in the tank though. While our goby was still alive, he dug a big hole and stayed in it a lot. maybe that's what yours did?

I'm no expert, but thats my .02

good luck!

-Matt

They're probably just hiding. It's a totally new environment for them. Give it a few more days. They mave have even dug a hole on the back side of the tank and you'll never see them. You have to remember they're always going to do what's best for them so they can survive.

I have a Hi-Fin goby that I only see when I feed. It's not a gurantee that I'll see it every time I feed, but I usually do and I've had it in the tank for 6+ months.

I've had gobies longer than any other fish. They are rarely seen. This is normal. Placing two or more in a tank can be fatal. Shrimp are generally nocturnal. If you have moonlight lamps, you will see them them come out. Many shrimp are eaten by tank mates, compatibility is key. Hope this helps. If you need a good compatibility reference, let me know. There are a few good ones online, and a great paperback reference available.

I'd give them time to adjust to the tank, before you start to see them again. Like mentioned, they may have set up their hole in the back of the tank. At night get a small flashlight, and go exploring. Good luck. :)

Found my goby!! now just waiting on the Pistol Shrimp .
he was under a big rock and he's so small but any movement he see's , hes back in the rock for about a minute. I guess he just neeeds time to adjust

My pistol shrimp stays under his rock. The only time we see him is if he comes out to grab food. Its a shame as they are so pretty.

i have had my pistol shrimp for almost four years now, and he still only comes out right before the lights shut off; He has a little tunnel system under the rocks and he stays under there all day and you can here them snap everynow and then if a fish comes close to their burrow.

haha ok now i cant find them anymore , oh well i try to find him tonight, and my cats attacked my eel when he jumped but it wasnt so grreat for the cat..

found my pistol shrimp.. well a peice of him :( i found his claw off, something has been killing my shrimp for the past year and i never saw it..

Probably unrelated, but something has killed my dwarf angel, my bicolor angel and my coral beauty!:frustrat: Is there a pistol in my tank??? everyone else is doing good, for now...:question:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

Do you hear clicking? Can you post more info about your tank and your parameters? Other livestock? Did they look sick before disappearing?

All levels are normal, and all other fish are doing fine. Currently I have 2 clowns, a sunshine cromies, 2 cardinals, a coral shrimp, 2 hermits and a snail. I think I heard clicking but not sure if it was just the hermits moving around.
My dwarf angel dissapeared 3 weeks ago, and I found my bicolor and coral beauty dead on saturday morning. I last saw them 8 hours earlier before I went to bed and they were doing what angels do, nosing around and swiming in and out of the rocks:fish:. Since they died I removed the coral rocks that had holes in them, perhaps the killer was hiding there?? How can I be certain that there was or is a pistol there??
Sorry for the "zombie" thread:death:, it was the closest I found on line

Back