i know you all think im crazy

lilduud

Reefing newb
but it keeps happening to me.. the orange blotches on my purple coralline algae that turn grey overnight... ive called it CLOD [corallin lethal orange disease] and then i figured that was wrong but im back to my original observation... the very first time i saw orange in my tank i noticed that an asterina star crawling in the opposite direction.. well i hate the things and typically remove them on my own but the other day i saw one on a blotch of purple coralline... the tips of its arms had orange following and sure enough the entire patch was covered in orange and today its grey!!!! what is this!!!! there has to be something going on or im a crazy person

certain asterinas feed on coraline. There was an article written a while back on RC about that specifically but, I could not find it in a quick search.

I removed 4 or 5 asterinas just a few days ago. They were eating my coraline, and I only noticed them when irregular star shaped patterns began to appear on one of my rocks. I've been keeping an eye out for more, but the coraline is beginning to grow back already.

A few times I have seen flourescent orange on my rocks, almost always after a water change or when I move some things around. It glows under the actinics, but it always goes away after a day or two. Don't know what the heck it is, has the gf and I stumped. Haven't noticed any dead coraline after words though, sounds like you have a unique issue for sure.

I see lil orange spots alot, always wondered why or how it got there....im going to buy a harlequin shrimp to clean them out. after their gone ill just buy a starfish every now and then to feed em....or just pass the guy onto a buddy of mine.

Harlequins don't require a large tank, as long as you can give them a constant supply of starfish you could keep them in a 10 gallon.

haha nemo u had me thinkin i was wrong there for a second....yea lilduud im buying one this weekend or next...prolly next weekend coz i got another fish to buy...hope that helps u out.

I have asterinas but they are not a problem because the instant I see one I pick it out with tweezers so they have never been able to multiply out of control.

Back