i think my zoas are fighting..

tegracer877

Reefing newb
ok you may remember i posted about a worm in my zoas i couple weeks ago, i got him out by dipping so thats all good.. but now...

when i first got the plug it had a few heads that were different color than the main part, (mains are orange, others are blueish green) the mains have been mostly closed exept for the corner farthest from the blue green heads, and some have been deforming/falling off/looking bad...

Now in order to get the worm i dipped it in a pretty heavy solution of melafix soooo idk.. im not having much luck with zoas.. help?

Same old question...

What are your water parameters?...Please don't say Good, Perfect, I just tested them, etc...What are they exactly?

How long has your tank been set up?

Also, some zoas need lower lighting than others. I have seen some melt away in too high of lighting.

How did you acclimate them to the light?

Same old question...

What are your water parameters?...Please don't say Good, Perfect, I just tested them, etc...What are they exactly?

How long has your tank been set up?

month and a half

ph: 8.2
Amonia: 0
nit: 0
nat: 0
Phos: .25
kh: 196ppm 11dkh
cal: 450ppm
salt: 1.024

Where are they located in your tank, and what kind of light are you running? Zoas will at times close up and look bad when they are growing new heads, look closely to see if you see any little nubs gowing out.

Different color morphs of zoas don't harm each other so that can't be the problem.I don't see anything in the readings that could be the cause either.Maybe the Melafix made it worst,as far as I know,it's use as a anti-fungal and bacteria treatment and not for killing unwanted pest.Maybe check again for predatory nudibranches,sundial snails or something else.

Phosphates are on the top range of being acceptable, however it's unlikely with Zoas that's the problem. I would guess that they need some time to adjust after that Melafix dip and in general get unpissed.

Back