I went all out!

WannaRace

Reefing newb
Well, it got to me...

I like the look of the slim and long 30 gallon tanks rather than the taller 29 gallon tanks. I went out and bought a 30 gallon tank, stand, CPR Bak Pak 2, 2 Maxi Jet 600 powerheads, 32 lbs. live rock, 30 lbs. live sand and created my underwater world! It looks amazing and I have some pictures that I will post in the next few upcoming days... Can't wait to show you guys!

if you are gonna make it a reef thats a mistake because its really hard to find a good light for a 30

The length on the tank is 36" and I have found many, many powerful lights that can turn this into a reef tank. However, at this time I am not looking to do that. I have a 30" 36W T-5 Coralife Aqualight 10K day/actinic (RIGO) + 1W lunar aqualight all on a timer... I am very happy with the way it looks right now

i agree with you wannarace..30 is a good tank to handle..plus a lot of ligth fixtures to choose..ive seen some awsome reefs in a 30g..good luck ..keep us updated..

Congrats.
You'll love the 30 gallon,plus when you decide to up grade you can use the 30 for what ever.
My wife took over mine for a sea horse.

I have a 30 gal reef and they sell tons of 36" fixtures so that wont be a problem at all. BTW if your like me you will love the 30. I love the 3 foot and yet still small for small places. Good luck and send some pics.

Thanks guys! I just tested some parameters today, they are as follows:

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Salinity: 1.0225ppm

Are there possibly any softies that I could keep with these lights?

I highly doubt it. I tried PSP in my 55 and it slowly died. Looked good for quit a awhile then started looking bad and died. You can pick up a light real cheap for that size tank. Do you have a canopy on your tank? If so you can save even more by buying a reotfit kit. I have the 2x 96 watt pcs on my 30 and since I only have softys I run only one bulb and everything is growing and doing great, and I have several corals in my tank. You could even find a used one for 50.00 or under. Since I got the t-5s for my 55 I have been considering selling the lights on the 30, but not sure yet because it will take time to get the coral used to the extra bright t-5s.

All I have over the tank is a piece of 36" glass the size of my aqualight that my light sits on top. Otherwise, the top is completely open.

I think you said earlier that you have a 36w T-5.I would stick with mushrooms,zoas, and maybe a few other softies like leather toadies.No guarantee though,a little low on light even for t5"s.

Mushrooms,Zoanthids,Buttons,Xenia,Kenya weeds(I mean trees).
I'd think that you'd be alright with most of the softies.
Good luck with it.

i should have got a 30 L instead of 29 gallon but i have 36" t5 nova xtreme and i can keep sps and lps and clams just fine in there. Couldn't find a 30" light for the tank so had to go 36 inch. The are other lights but nova extreme was good price and works great tons of corraline algae since february when i set it up. As long as you can keep calcium up sps will do fine under t5's.

On another note, does anyone know if I can replace the daylight and actinic bulb with higher wattage bulbs? Anyone with these lights or experience/knowledge here? Rigo?

sorry i cant tell..ive allways used the same wattage when replacing..but thats a good question, i dont know if the ballast can keep up??

Thanks Rigo.. I just want to make sure that I can keep these corals healthy. I know they are hardy, but I want to take no chances.

My live rock seems to be growing some white looking algae on it??? It looks like snow.. what is this?

Your going to have to use the same wattage bulbs.The ballast won't be able to handle a higher wattage bulb.Other words,what Rigo said.

Not sure of the white stuff on the rocks though.All I can think of is coralline that has bleach or died off.Common when live rock is cycling a tank or when first introduce.If thats the case,it will come back.

Back