Ich Helpers

Melanie

Reefing newb
Ich seems to be an everlasting problem in the aquarium hobby, and as a lot of you know there are a few fish/inverts that help keep our fish nice and parasite free :D So far the only reliable ich eaters that i've heard of have been neon gobies and cleaner shrimp. Although i have also heard that sharknose gobies and peppermint shrimp (althoughnot often for the peppers) will eat it as well. I was just wondering if anyone has had more luck with one or the other or if anyone has experiences to share :twocents:

Yes the cleaner wrasse will, i didn't think to include them because they're diet is more specified to the parasites on our fish and they become difficult to feed after all the ich is cleaned up just because they don't generally accept anything else. I was hoping to bring more attention to the animals that can last in our systems while still being a good ich destroyer xD

I had a black and yellow sharknose goby. He was a good cleaner, but he jumped. I only had him for about a week or two.

Skunk cleaners,fire shrimps and neon gobies are the only ones I'm aware of and would recommend.I know alot of Indo-Pacific fish will rarely ever use my skunk cleaner for cleaning and instead use the fire shrimp instead.My anthias and Powder blue for instance,will not go near the skunk.

Don't forget proper diet,vitamins and garlic helps too.

And even though there are a few that will help pick at the parasite they will never be able to keep up. Buying livestock is a bandaid solution. Best bet is to QT the fish and treat and leave your main tank fish free for 8 weeks. Also try to lower stress for the fish.

Back