@%$#.....Ick in DT!!

Hey Biff, if the fish don't show signs of it does that mean it will die off? Tang is eating veggies now every other day, so proud.

Now i'm really confused.Some people don't mind having a disease in their tank,OK,but its always there(if introduced).If i knew of a way to kill it off i would want to do it.Just peace of mind, I guess.I'm not trying to second guess or debate anyone,and i really like hearing all the different opinions,but i still think ,for me anyway,i have to kill it!I've had my salt for 3 years now with no ick,and now it just makes me mad.

Like I said, I got real mad too, but it's something I couldn't control. I lost about $300 worth of fish, 'cause I used to shop at this rip-off lfs, they sold me all that crap chemicals to try and cure it. But they also told me a hospital tank was bogus, so that's when I knew they were in it just to sell, sell, sell, and came here for advice, which turned out way better than the man behind the counter selling all day. They gain nothing if your tank is healthy and fish don't die. I think the new fish is just stressed and has the ich, it's like the flu, you need to boost their immine system to fight it, and you need to do something rather quickly. Once the fish stop eating it's over in my opinion. I never had a fish recover once they stopped eating. Keep us posted whatever you do.

But, what if, after you go thru all of that, and one day a fish gets stressed out and gets it again. Or you add a fish and it gets it. I would rather just fight it with the garlic & C. I think chasing the already stressed fish around the tank, netting him, putting him in a different home would be worse. But, that is just me.

If i go thru all of it,there will be no more ick.I think the stress on the fish would be minimal compared to being shipped across the country in a tiny box of water.This is why I'm so bummed,it is in our control,and we can in fact,control the issue of our DT getting ick or not,i've done it for 3+ years.Did i mention i DO NOT blame my wife,heck she got me the tank too,as a b-day gift.I'm really enjoying all these opinions too,thanks,it kinda cool to hear everyones thoughts on this.

if you treat every fish before it is out into the dt you will never have ich in your dt no matter how stressed the fish get. why not treat the fish first so that you dont take the chance of having a huge outbreak of ich in your dt that you cannot treat.

Last edited:
OH, I thought a fish could get ick from being stressed.

it is a parasite and can be killed if you treat the fish in copper or hypo.(the only two proven ways to kill it) and the dt must remain fish free for at least 6 weeks

they can get ich from being stressed if the ich is still in the tank but if you kill it and keep it out of the tank you can chase the dang fish around for hours and stress the hell out of it and it will not get ich it may die from stress but not ich

Just want to thank everyone for the advice and input today.I think i'm done for tonight.You all have gave me alot to think about.To live with ick ,or not to live with ick,that is the question? I still don't know what to do :frustrat:

that is not true if you treat your fish in copper before adding them to the DT

I know. I am speaking as a person who has never quarantined their fish, has never treated ich, and has never lost a fish to ich.

Ich is an opportunistic parasite, meaning that if the environment and fish are healthy, the parasite has a hard time taking hold of the fish. It won't affect them.

I have had all my fish for 5+ years, and I know that there is ich in my tank. Yet my fish never get sick from it because I try to keep them healthy by feeding them garlic and vitamins, and I keep the water quality high, and try to minimize stress.

I really don't think it's a big deal, and it's not something to be panicked about.

Like Biff,I've never QTed any of my fish and have never lost one to ICK.I've never had an ICK outbreak in my tank that I know of.Not saying it WONT happen someday.And I'm sure there are ICK parasites in the tank.

There are ways to completely eradicate it.You can treat your fish in a QT and leave the display fallow for 6 to 8 weeks and completely get rid of the ICK from the display.But there are fish that cant handle the copper,plus to much of it or being in to long will also cause liver and kidney problems for the fish.

So basically,the way I see it.You got six of one and half dozen of another.Its just a matter of picking your poison.

Interesting reading. I do have a quick question. What is this garlic oil and vitamin C everyone is talking about? Do I buy it at the pet store, or grocery store? Do I need to buy a certain kind/brand? Do I need to soak food in it every night? What food? Pellets? Mysis? Thanks. I'm clueless.

You can buy garlic extract at pet stores (I know for sure that my local Petco and Petsmart sell it), GNC/health food stores, or you can make your own (just press garlic, and save the oil. Dilute the oil with some RO water and you've got homemade garlic extract).

Garlic (just like in humans) boosts the immune system and has antimicrobial properties. In fish, it also stimulates appetite, so that's an added bonus if you have a sick fish.

You can buy vitamins at any pet store as well. Kent Marine makes a good one (I can't remember what it's called exactly), and another popular brand is Selcon, which you have to buy at an LFS or order online.

Prevention is better than treatment, IMO. If you keep your fish garlicked and vitamined up, stress free, and your water quality high, your fish won't ever have ich outbreaks.

You can soak any type of food in the vitamins and garlic. I thaw out my frozen food in a cup, and squirt the garlic and vitamins on it, and let it soak in for a few minutes before I feed it. You can do the same to pellets or flakes if you feed those.

Back