Identification and data base

jhnrb

Reef enthusiast
Well some good news on the happenings behind the scenes. Our data base format has been set. Currently input is ongoing starting with the fish category, then inverts, and finally corals. This is a very exciting addition to the site and will be a great benefit to all that visit. It will be a couple months before it is available but, be patient and we will get there. The data base will take a year or better to complete totally, so, just let us know as we bring the pieces on line if you have any comments. Just post um in this thread or pm me.

I appreciate the offer, but, the format must be followed and no duplication can occur. so im not sure how we would do that. also pictures and quality are of issue. due to the various varieties of fish of the same name, it is important to use the correct picture and not the hybrid pic. so, although I welcome help, im not sure at this point how that would work. Ill keep it in mind though and if I can figure our a way to coordinate help Ill let ya know. The biggist help will be to evaluate the pic and info for errors or ommissions when we open it up to everyone. that will be the biggest help there. Thanks again for the offer.

Sounds like you got your hands full John.But I'm sure your enjoying every second of it.And we appreciate all the work your doing for the site.

I've had a peek at how the database is shaping up so far, and I have to say that John has done an amazing job - you guys are going to love this :D

I also have been seeing the database progress as John builds it, and it is fantastic. I can't wait to see the whole thing up and running! He has put in a lot of hard work to make this portion of the site come to fruition and it's really going to be worth it.

John is there anything that I can do to help? Shoot me a PM if anything can be done. Ill do any duties that you assign me. Ive been getting involved more in the things that I love and would greatly appreciate any way to be of assistance.

I really think that this database is going to be what takes this sight over the top, we ALL know that this is the best site for reefers but this is going open the eyes of the reefing community. Im sure its going to be amazing as everything that Jhnrb puts together is.

John has been working so hard at it, I see updates daily (sometimes even hourly). From what John has done so far, I can say it's one of the most comprehensive, understandable and accessible databases that I've seen to date. I promise you won't be disappointed!!

Oh yeah, I'm super excited about its release. Can you tell? :)

I can hardly wait... you should put something live just as a teaser. You know like just inverts or something...anything! Thanks for the hard work

John I have a question about the database. Is it also going to have a care profile for the coral species that are listed? If so can we make sure that we define some kind of parameter for what you/we/they consider low/medium/high lighting in both T5 and Metal Halide lighting? Also the same type of parameter for flow? Maybe too much to ask that is just something that I see lacking in in a lot of collections.

I suggested this idea to another forum (RS), I saw that a place called Fantasy Reef had a data base.

I'm very glad I found this Living Reef site, and now I read your building a database...

COOL!

I only been here a couple of days, but I must admit I think I may have found my new forum home... The people here are very nice, and I feel like I fit right in...

Any way to somehow incorporate a video with the database? I saw a site that did this, I know it would be a huge undertaking, but maybe you could plan for this idea now, and insert video's later... I found it to be very cool, to not only read about the care of an animal, but to also watch a short video.

Anyway, I'm new to this site, but not new to the hobby. I offer my assistance as well if help is ever needed.

Keep up the good work.

Jason

John I have a question about the database. Is it also going to have a care profile for the coral species that are listed? If so can we make sure that we define some kind of parameter for what you/we/they consider low/medium/high lighting in both T5 and Metal Halide lighting? Also the same type of parameter for flow? Maybe too much to ask that is just something that I see lacking in in a lot of collections.

I agree, I'll give it some thought and deal with it as we get to the coral portion. thanks for the comment.

Back