Identifying Hitchhikers

Kevotastic

Reefing newb
I found these 3 different hitchikers on some live rock i bought with some coral. The first couple of photos im thinking they are maybe Bristle Worms, or Brittle Starfish? The next maybe a Small Tentacled Plate Anemone? And the small white and grey blotches ive had moving around on the rock possibly some sort of starfish as well? Please help im new to SW thanks!
-Kevin

Attachments

• hitchhiker1.jpg
    hitchhiker1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 443
  • hitchhiker2.jpg
    hitchhiker2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 475
  • hitchhiker3.jpg
    hitchhiker3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 568
  • Hitchhiker4.jpg
    Hitchhiker4.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 733
1 - arms of a mini brittle star (good guy to have).
2 - same thing.
3 - majano anemone. This guy is a pest. You will need to kill it. The best and easiest way is to buy a bottle of Aiptasia X and follow the directions -- you squirt it with the paste and it dies.
4 - asterina starfish. Some people like them, some people don't. They normally only eat the film algae found on rocks and glass. Some have been seen eating corals. It's up to you if you want to remove those or not -- I don't bother them when I find them in my tank (and I've even had some coral eating ones in the past).

First two pics are brittle stars. The third is a majano anemone and they are a pest. Eliminate it quickly. Fourth is an asterina star fish. Most of them are harmless, but keep your eye out for ones that like to munch on coral. You can do a search on majano's and on asterinas for more info :)

Ninja'd :D

Ahh thank you very much! I will get some Aiptasia x tomorrow and get to killing that, before it gets the xenias and ill be sure to keep an eye on the little asterinas.
Sincerely,
Kevin

Back