If Not Odyssea, Then What?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So I'm planning on getting the Odyssea ADV Plus Metal Halide system for my 75 gallon reef tank I'm setting up since they're cheap, and I've heard fairly good things about them. But... I sent aquatraders an email Friday and Tuesday and haven't gotten a response yet. So I'm a little pissed. :grumble:

So what I want to know, is if there are any other cheap lighting solutions that I'd be able to keep sps and clams under? I'd prefer it to be MH/LED since I like the shimmer effect.

:D

Lighting is and will be your biggest investment. Do not skimp and look for a cheap alternative. Do some research and find out what is going to be the most obtainable while still giving you a quality product. There is nothing worse than having to buy something to replace a cheap short cut in this hobby.

Lighting is and will be your biggest investment. Do not skimp and look for a cheap alternative. Do some research and find out what is going to be the most obtainable while still giving you a quality product. There is nothing worse than having to buy something to replace a cheap short cut in this hobby.

Hmm, well I was thinking the current nova extreme pro maybe but, I really wanted the shimmer...

Google catalina lighting, I think they are in Sacramento.

So after looking through their website...

Catalina Aquarium -- I'm kinda worried about the price.. Less than $300 for an 8 bulb fixture? And it says it either comes with 10,000k, 6,500k, 3,000k, or 5,000k bulbs. Does that mean 8 10,000k bulbs?

Catalina Aquarium -- this seems good, but I don't really need moonlights (it's gonna be in my room :grumble:)

Catalina Aquarium -- That's the equivelant of the Odyssea light, but's out of my budget. :sad:

And their LEDs are too expensive. :-? I sent fin-sanity an email so we'll see what they say.

I'd go with the second one. The led's are dimmable, and it has a 5 year warranty on it. I run their retro fit MH on mine and they are great. They did at one point hand build all their stuff, not sure if they still do or not.

I have the Odyssea Halide system and have no comp[laints, someone else here also purchased the same lights and has had no problems. Just get the one with the the legs, not the other ones with the metal braces.

I have the Odyssea Halide system and have no comp[laints, someone else here also purchased the same lights and has had no problems. Just get the one with the the legs, not the other ones with the metal braces.

BL1 also has the fixture, and likes it. But some people are quite negative about them. Not sure what to do. :-?

I have used Jim over at Catalina for a few years now he is very good and will build something for you if you want things changed.. Call him up before ordering most times you can get a little better price calling him then ordering it just online..:D

So, Finsanity replied, and said that I'd need the 66 LED one. It's $400. Isn't it worth it to spend an extra $100 to get a quality LED fixture?

I wouldn't buy a fixture from an aquarium store that decided to start building their own on the side. At least not without knowing a few people that tried them out first.

With the LEDs and the T5s on, would I get any shimmer?

And does the light come with bulbs?

You could, probably not as intense as you would get from a MH bulb(s). I would depend on what bulbs you put in the fixture. I don't know if it comes with bulbs or not, it does not say. I'd call them and ask.

Also, it appears like there are a few other members looking into those same LEDs you are asking about. At least one good review from someone that is using one.

I have been thinking about making the switch to LED's, I also like the "shimmer" effect however honestly I have a powerhead at the surface of the water to stop any dead spots and that seems to be what makes the "shimmer" for me, wouldn't it be the same with an LED set up?

Back